Chapter IX: Sitcom

[Obvi, Zeus is the guy in the picrew]

  "Hebe ... I ... just ... wanted to say that ... Emotions are complicated ... I didn't mean to ... no, I said that already ...! Ahem ... er ... Hebe, darling, we ... you ... I know that you are a very kind, understanding, thoughtful child, and therefore...! Nah ...."

Zeus sighed and kept dragging the big, heavy cardboard box behind him, thinking up a way to say something that could perhaps make Hebe feel better ... it's not like if she's been acting MEAN to him, heavens no! She's much, much too nice a girl for such a thing, it is simply that she has been acting quite sad, and that's too bad, since the mood had been so cheery recently, it's a pity it all went downhill...!

Oh well, it's been a week ago, this little present ought to get her spirits up...!

Zeus floated up a flight of stairs up to where Hebe's room is, finally deciding to just not say anything and let this fine, fine present do ALLLLL the talking!

He then casually set down the box, making sure not to let it sound too hard when he set it down the floor, cleared his throat, and was about to knock on the door when he heard talking on the other side,

"... Athena? Wh-Why ... I thought you ... really?"

Zeus' fist froze just a few millimeters from actually knocking the door when he held himself back, suddenly putting his ear against the door, but heard then Hebe say,

"... I'll ... have to call you back ... yeah? Okay, love you- .... okay ..."

Zeus glared at the door and straightened up, somewhat annoyed that the conversation did not continue, but resigned himself as he heard Hebe call out in a slightly nervous tone,

"...Er ... Father ... you can come in, now..."

Zeus was quite annoyed at her tone, but he decided to just deal with it and opened the creaking door, and saw Hebe still holding the phone reciever in her hand, dark circles under her eyes and looking somewhat miserable.

He hated seeing her like this.

It honestly made him kind of angry ... but this wasn't the moment to be angry.

He slowly grinned and flopped down on the bed next to Hebe, putting his arms behind his head as he said cheerfully,

"Hey!"

Hebe didn't say anything.

Zeus couldn't understand what was going on ... she can't possibly be ACTUALLY mad at him, could she?

No .... she's a good girl, she would never be disrespectful in such a way!

Zeus cocked his head and just said,

"Hey ... what's going on? You seem very unhappy, you can't possibly be mad at your Father now, right...?"

Hebe glanced up at him, without much emotion while saying,

"No ... just ..."

She looked for a moment like she was struggling whether to tell him what was going on or not. Zeus felt a little disturbed that she would think about not telling her Father, of all people, but no worries, Hebe then said suddenly,

"Hercules called. Said he's been talking to Athena. He didn't seem very happy, but he said that he ... wishes for a kid as well, and I .... Well, at least I didn't call him first, it would have been really, REALLY awkward, I wouldn't have known wha-what to say! Like, do I even DEMAND or WHAT-!"

Hebe then burst out into shrill, high pitched giggles that took Zeus by surprise, since he was obviously not expecting THAT reaction out of all things...!