It's a Good Life We Lead

----- January 13th, 2012 - Midtown Manhattan, New York -----

I fly up to the Empire State Building to see Peter sitting at the edge with his mask off. Landing down behind him, he turns to see me. 

His eyes were a bit red.

I walk over to sit next to him. We look out onto the City as they all start to awake in silence for a few moment. The sky becoming a bit lighter shade of blue.

Peter eventually clears his throat, "I'm sorry.."

I let out a sigh and look over to him, "What for?"

"For what happened tonight. For not being able to help you. For letting him get me so easily."

We sit in silence for a bit longer until I eventually break it with laughter. He sharply turns toward me, confused.

"W-What? What is it?," he asks.

I continue laughing some more before calming down. I continue looking out onto the city.

"Peter, none of that was your fault," I tell him, "You just weren't ready, and that's fine."

"Then I should have been ready," he sputters out.

I turn to look at him, "Not everyone is ready for something like that so quickly."

"B-But you were."

"Peter, You should learn sooner or later that everyone is different. You may not have been ready today, but you will be eventually."

He thinks for a moment, "When will I know I'm ready?"

I've asked myself that very question.

But is anyone truly ready?

No. No one knows when they're ready.

"You won't," Peter looks down as I say that but I put my hand on his shoulder causing him to look back at me, "It's a leap of faith. That's all it is, Peter... A leap of faith."

He finally smiles and asks rhetorically, "Like in Assassin's Creed?"

We sit there for a bit longer and listen to the City That Never Sleeps.

The cars driving and honking.

Traffic lights blinking.

The neon signs and billboards crackling.

The 1.6 million people already moving around the city.

Then Peter eventually stands, "I should probably get going. Aunt May might realize I'm gone."

I stand up next to him, "Wait, before you go. There's one last thing that needs to be done. And this is the perfect spot."

He looks at me confused until I grab his forearm and he understands.

I start grinning like a madman, "It is a good life we lead, brother."

Peter grins wide as well and lets out an exaggerated sigh, "The best.. May it never change."

We both turn to look out onto the city once more as I put a hand on his shoulder and say, "And may it never change us."

____________________