A note in the dark

It was a wet night. A shitty night. Heavy rain thundered against the grey stone slabs of Manehatten. Yellow street lights cast long shadows across the tall dull buildings. The dark night sky was cloudy, and no stars could be seen. I stood at the end of a small street in one of the poorer districts. I didnt like it here. The smell of sewage stank from the unmaintained sewers. A few brightly coloured ponies wearing too much make up walked over to a stallion. I observed as the stallion handed over a stack of cash and they walked into one of the dark alley ways. I was alone now. It was cold. I pulled my coat up around my neck and fondled in my bag for the packet of cigarettes. After finding them, I took out a lighter and struggled to start it in the wet air. After finally achiving it, I placed it in my mouth and the smell of nicotine drifted through the air. I inhaled and them removed it from my lips. Letting out a sigh, I watched as the smoke drifted away. I pondered why I was here. The memory of what had happened this morning was fuzzy. But using some magic I could relive it. The ciggarents helped me focus. I looked up through my black mane as my horn began to glow a friendly shade of blue. I shut my eyes and prepared to re-see it all.

                                                    +++

I awoke in my apartment. My alarm was going off. The dull beeping coming from the bedside table was more annoying every morning. My head was pounding from the hangover. I looked over to the table. The little rectangle of my clock sat inbetween two half-empty bottles of Jack Daniels. The ashtray was still smoking. I pressed my hoof against the clock and the beeping stopped. I shut my eyes again and sighed. The smell of cigarettes and alchohol wafted through the rooms. I tilted my head back and let out a long breath before opening my eyes again. It had been almost a month since she had disappeared. If it was a break-up then why hadnt she returned for her stuff? The same familar questions fluttered around my nulled mind. I stumbled out of the bed and on the dirty carpet. The blood rushed to my head as I streached and yawned loudly. My eyes shut again out of tiredness, but I was determined to keep them open. The bed was in the centre of the room against a wall. The bedside table was on one side and large wardrobe was on the other. Next to the wardrobe was a window and a large pile of clothes waiting to be washed. Across from the bed was a chest of draws with a dirty golden mirror on the surface. The entire room was littered with cans of beer and bottles of whiskey. I trotted lazily over to the blinds across the window and peeked through them. The sun was up and ponies were collecting rubbish from bins outside the apartments. However the general depression of the place hung over like a plague. I walked into the kitchen and using my magic made a cup of coffee. I opened the dust covered fridge and took out a jug of milk. I sat down at a wooden table in the middle of the kitchen and poured milk into the coffee. I lifted it up, and as soon as the china met my lips I froze. Across from me was the front door, and on it was a note, help in place by a knife. I dropped the cup and it shattered across the carpet. I bolted across the room and looked at the note. Writen in black messy letters were the words 'IF YOU WANT TO SEE HER AGAIN - KING STREET - 9:30'. My heart froze. Memories, left undisturbed for weeks flooded into my mind. Then came the anger. I yanked the note off the door, scowling at it. I started panting. I crumpled the note and put in in my jacket pocket, hanging from the wall nearby. I then put my jacket on and slammed the door behind me, picking up my keys and mobile phone. I didnt know it, but I was running to the police station.

I'm a detective you see. I work with the police to help them find criminals. We arent the most powerful force in the city, and we are far from the reckoning force of the royal guard, but we get the job done. I am fairly good at my job, but recently..ever since she left...I have lost my focus. She was the light of my life. But now she is gone. I have been drinking and smoking. Anything to try and get the image of her out of my head. She broke my heart. Or so I thought. She just left one day and never came back..

                                                         +++

I opened my eyes. What had once been my apartment was now a filthy Manehatten street. I looked up at the wall. The sign saying 'KING STREET' hung proudly on the side of a building. I checked my watch: 9:29 p.m. one minute early. I waited. Watching the rain patter down on the city, as if being drenched by an endless bucket of water. I closed by eyes. I was tired. I was anxious for this moment. I turned to look down the pavement I was on. Lined with shops closed for the night, a lone pony in a dark hoodie walked briskly towards me.  I could hear the clopping of hooves against stone as he looked at me, his hood casting a dark shadow over his face. He stopped, only a few feet away, then proceeded to put one hoof in his pocket. I hesitated, scared he might pull out a knife or a gun. He took out what looked like a coin with a picture of headphones on it. He tossed it in the air and it landed by my hooves. I picked it up. Apon closer inspection it had the numbers 64 writen on it. I looked at him. Was this some kind of joke? What was this?

"Where is she!?!" I yelled at him. I didnt get reply. However, what I did get was a reaction. This pony then took out a paper note, wrapped in a ribbon and tossed it at me, before galloping full pelt down the street he had just come from.  I undid the ribbon and looked at the scrawny sheet of paper. The writings were as follows:

'500g of cocain. Stop. 500g of crystal meth. Stop. 500g of unrefined opium. Stop. 100,000 bits in cash. Stop. Then we shall talk further. Sincerely, Advocite. Stop.'

Fear shot through me.

"What is this? A shopping list?!" I yelled down the street, but the pony was no longer there. I sighed and let my head tilt downwards.

I walked along the street, sadness nulling my veins. I thought I would see her again. I was wrong. Now I have a list. What am I,supposed to do with this? And who is Advocite? The questions kept coming, just like the rain. I looked up into the sky. What had I done to deserve this? I looked up at the two buildings next to me. A thin ally way shrouded in darkness to my left, tall skyscrapers across the street. I looked at the sign above the alley. "64.." I muttered as I read the sign aloud. I looked down at the coin I had been given. Could it mraeaean something? I trotted down the alleyway, the dim light from the street providing the only visablilty. I searched along the alley, hoping to find something. Nothing. I brushed my hooves against the walls. My hoof then caught something. I looked at it and saw that what I had stumbled apon was a knocker, made of brass and the kind you would find on a door. Without hesitation I knocked it. Nothing. Again. Still nothing. Maybe this was a pointless charade. I was about to turn around and go home when a slit around eye level opened. A bright blue eye stared at me.

"Payment." Came a voice. Another slit opened in the wall, a coin slot. I looked down at the coin and turned it over in my hand, before inserting it. Before I knew it, a door way in walls had formed. Bright lights shone from within and the sound of heavy dubstep poured out.

"Welcome to the 64th hidden Club"