𝟐𝟒

adonia's pov.

"who plays the nurse again?"

"uh, i think idaliah, unless i got her confused with agatha," james replies, and i hum before looking back at the costumes. today we were trying them on, making sure everyone's costumes fit and looked good on them.

"i feel bad for aldrich, he has to play paris. and last i checked, he hates theatre with a passion." i say, james cocking his head at me.

"then why'd he take theatre?"

"something about his parents forcing him because they think he'll grow up to be an actor," james snorts and i elbow him, "don't laugh at his suffering!"

"i'm sorry!" james, who does not at all seem sorry, laughs more and i laugh a bit before the teacher walks up to us.

"okay, good news! i have your costumes, and they should fit you very tightly. come, follow me." we followed her over to a small area with two vanities, and there was a dress with white flower lace, golden fabric that went over the sides of my chest and my forearms, and lines of sparkling green that went around and down the entire dress.

i mean, it kind of looked hideous, but the moment i saw it i held back a gasp and smiled. james' costume had the same theme, but instead it was a green tunic that hard darker green patterns on it and a white, satin sleeves shirt underneath. both costumes had a necklace with a cross on it.

"you'll be wearing these. try them on, make sure they fit!" the teacher left us alone, and james was looking blankly at his costume. 

"i can't wait to wear these in front of like 800 million high schoolers," i mutter, going up to take my dress off of the mannequin. james snorts and goes up to his costume, and i go to the small dressing rooms in the corner of the room. pushing aside the door and locking it, i sigh before looking at the dress.

my ass was gonna look absolutely terrible in this. 

i changed out of my clothes and into the tight dress, and it looked like i was the filipino version of tiana. how lovely. 

i sighed and put on the cross necklace, doing a small twirl in the mirror to fit my cliche practice-before-the-play moment. the play was tomorrow, and god knows i'm not about to make it as cliche as possible. unlocking the door to the dressing cube, i opened the door and walked out. james was already outside wearing his costume. 

"why is it so tight," james wheezed, and i laughed at him before his gaze landed on me. i raised an eyebrow. 

"stop looking at my titties," i said bluntly, and james sputtered for an answer.

 "i am not looking at your- at your-" james stutters into a laugh and i snort before hitting him on the shoulder. 

"you look nice for a straight, white man so," james nods and looks at me again. 

"well, you look nice for a uh-" james pauses for a moment. 

"choose your words wisely." 

"you look nice," he smiles at me and i smile back, before the theatre teacher comes back into the room. she looks at us and gasps. 

"you both look so wonderful! here, come onto stage i'll give you your scripts-" she rushed and we follow, james holding my hand and me squeezing it once. 

we were handed small papers and the theatre teacher walked away, leaving us with no instruction besides "just save the kiss for the real thing." 

that won't be too hard, will it?

"doesn't romeo talk to people besides juliet?" james shrugs and turns to act 1, scene 5. i look at the page and furrow my eyebrows. 

"jesus, romeo and juliet really kissed the first time they met," james snorts and starts to read.