thirteen

"Thank you, Daera. I think Aerin feels a bit better when she sees you just now," Mrs Jung said in relief. Daera looked at the purple sky that was turning dark. She bowed at the older lady before leaving the house.

She walked slowly, hoping that Aerin feels better. Her eyes widened when she heard footsteps behind her. Her heart started thumping vigorously out of panic and worry. She fastened her pace and clenched her fists.

Her mind was filled with questions on why it took so long to reach her home. She didn't want to run because she didn't want the person behind her to notice that she knew he or she was following her.

The sky slowly became dark and the moon was rising, taking over the sun. She panicked when she saw the lamp posts near the way to her house was broken. The pathway was dark and eerie.

The footsteps became louder and louder, signalling that the person was closer to her. She took a deep breath and sprinted, her eyes forming panic tears.

Her eyes then began to blink continuously when a man pointed his flashlight at her. "Kang Daera," he called. He turned off the flashlight and she saw him, Park Sunghoon, standing in front of her.

She felt her knees weak from all the running. She ran again to him before hugging him tightly, crying into his chest.

She sobbed into his chest. He didn't know what to do so he patted her back gently to comfort her. "I thought I was going to die," she sobbed again.

"I'm here," he comforted, "I'm right here."

It felt like the world stopped spinning. It felt like there was just the two of them on earth. He cleared his throat as his cheeks started forming a red colour. His heart started pounding quickly and his stomach started producing butterflies.

He had never seen this side of Daera. She was always an independent person who can take care of herself and didn't need his help. But seeing this side of her made him vulnerable and he felt like he needed to protect her at all cost.

Her head hung low as she tried to avoid making eye contact with Sunghoon. He sighed and placed a cup of tea in front of her. "It's already dark and dangerous for you to go out. Why didn't you tell us?" He scolded as he took a seat across her.

"I'm sorry," she muttered quietly. He sighed, "I was worried about you!"

She looked at him and bit her bottom lip, feeling guilt rising in her for making him worried. She looked around, "Where's Jay?"

"He's at the store searching for a self-defence kit for you."

She nodded slowly and lowered her gaze. He smiled softly and held her hand, "Thank God you're safe."

The entrance door opened, revealing Jay with a plastic bag. He rushed towards her, "Where have you been? Do you know how worried I was when you're gone?"

She smiled, "I'm fine."

He handed her an alarm button, "Always bring this with you and press the button when there's someone following you," he said and then gave her a pepper spray, "Spray this at the person's eyes."

She nodded and held the tools tightly, staring at them.

Daera stared at the ceiling of her room. She lay on her bed but couldn't fall asleep. Sunghoon and Jay were already asleep on the floor.

She thought about Sunghoon's arms embracing her while she was crying into his chest. His embrace was warm and she felt comfortable. She turned to her left to look at him, seeing him breathe calmly in his sleep.

I want to move on but I keep finding myself back to you.

She closed her eyes and went to her dreamland.