forty-one

┌──────────────────┐
three months later.
└──────────────────┘

Edlyn stepped into the private VIP room, seeing a man sitting in a wheelchair, facing the glass window. A man she recognises a lot.

"Jay," she called. The said man turned around and smiled, seeing his sister approach him with a box of doughnuts from his favourite store.

"It's been a long time since I've seen you. How's work?" He asked. She smiled, "It's fine. As usual, the hospital is hectic as always."

She watched as he struggled to get up from the wheelchair. She was about to help him but he put out his hand, stopping her.

"I got this. Don't worry," he said and headed to his bed. He slowly sat down and lifted both of his legs on it.

"How's Jake? I kinda miss him. It's been a while since I've heard about him."

She sat on a chair next to the bed and sighed, "He's okay. He's one of the higher bosses now."

She examined his expression properly, seeing him in a good mood.

Maybe I should ask him about Daera?

Is he okay with it?

"Do you know that Daera has been appointed as the director of the Park Hospital in Seoul? The one we all were working at?" She asked.

He widened his eyes, "Really? Wow. That's...amazing."

That's it? You're not going to ask about her wellbeing and all?

"She's still single," she said again, hoping to get a better response than before. He nodded and smiled again, "Good to know."

What the hell is wrong with him?

Daera rested her head on her desk as she stared blankly at the bookshelf against the wall. The door was knocked and Jake walked in with two cups of coffee.

"Yah, I thought you're working," he frowned. She sat up straight and took the cup from him before drinking the coffee.

"Why does Edlyn want to go to America so sudden? It's not like she has anything to do there," she said.

"Maybe she has some work? I don't know, she told me she has something to do."

"You're her husband and you don't know?"

"She doesn't tell me about it. I tried to ask but she keeps avoiding the question."

He put the cup down and handed her a document, "Ms Kang, you have an invitation to a prestigious medical school in America. They invited you to join for the graduation event."

Her eyes widened, "What?"

My first event?

Overseas?

She snatched the paper excitedly and read the sentences on it, seeing her name written in grand letter fonts.

"Is this how it feels like to be invited?" She asked happily.

"Trust me, it'll get better from now," Jake chuckled before leaving the room. She rolled her eyes and skipped to the couch, jumping like a little kid around her office.

"You are invited to the graduation event of our school, Ms Daera Kang," she read with full of joy.

┌──────────────────┐
two months later.
└──────────────────┘

( sorry for too many time skips guys )

"Welcome to California, Ms Daera," the stewardess greeted her. Daera nodded and smiled at the stewardess before hopping off the plane. She had a great time experiencing first-class for the first time.

She looked around and inhaled the fresh air, hearing the airport announcements. She took her bag from the baggage claim area and walked to the airport entrance.

She looked around until her eyes caught a familiar figure holding a sign with her name written on it.

Sunoo?

She approached him and chuckled at the way he wrote her name, "You're here?"

"Your parents told me that you have an event in America so I thought maybe I should escort you from the airport since I'm already working nearby."

Sunoo drove her to a duty-free store since she requested to buy a few bars of chocolates for herself.

"It helps when I'm nervous," she said as she ate the chocolates in the containers that had "tester" written on them.

He chuckled and watched her inhaling the chocolate scent. "Don't you want anything? Mint choco maybe?" She asked.

He shrugged, "Maybe not. I already had lots of chocolates yesterday. I'll feel sick if I eat them again today."

"I'm telling you! The patient thought I was going to date her!" Heeseung whined. Jay laughed and stopped walking when he saw his favourite duty-free store.

"Let's buy some chocolates," he said but Heeseung held his hand, "You bought too many of them last week."

Jay narrowed his eyes when he saw a familiar female figure standing with her back facing him. She was holding tons of chocolates with different flavours. A man in a hoodie was standing next to her, laughing hard.

"What's wrong?" Heeseung asked confusedly.

"Nothing," Jay smiled before walking away, leaving the question unanswered.