twenty-nine

Daera stepped into Jay's penthouse, followed by Heeseung behind her. She inhaled the sandalwood scent that dissolved into the air.  The house was almost as big as his father's mansion, just a penthouse version.

Chandeliers high up on the ceiling and white furniture everywhere. Heeseung led her to her bedroom as he carried her bags. She gasped in awe when she saw the room was neatly decorated.

"Jay asked Edlyn to hire an interior designer to decorate your room," Heeseung said as he exhaled tiredly, catching his breath.

She nodded and faced him, "Thank you."

"I'm leaving now. If you ever want to leave the house, inform me or Jay. Or maybe Sunghoon so that we know where you're headed to. It's not safe anymore for you to be going out alone," he said before leaving the house.

She watched him close the entrance door before wandering around the house. She visited the kitchen and admired how Jay organised the food in the fridge and the snacks in the cupboard. She walked into the small pantry room and gasped excitedly, seeing all her favourite candies and chocolates organised in their containers.

She hummed a soft melody as she made her way through the hallway upstairs. A room with an open door caught her attention. She walked in and was greeted with the sight of a grand piano in the middle of the room.

There were also violin, guitar and drums at the corner. She touched the piano and hesitated whether to play it or not.

"Do you know how to play it?" A voice asked her from behind. She flinched in shock and immediately turned around, seeing Jay leaning against the doorway.

"I thought you're at the hospital," she cleared her throat.

"The hospital let me leave today since the stab wound isn't too deep."

He made his way to the piano seat and started pressing some keys. She leaned her arms on the piano as she watched his fingers playing some tune.

She was mesmerised by him that she didn't even notice he already finished playing the song. He chuckled and rested his cheek against his palm as he let his elbow rest on the piano keys.

He admired her and they both kept eye contact for a while. She smiled, "That was beautiful."

"You are," he muttered quietly as he stood up. "What?" She asked confusedly as she followed him to the kitchen from behind.

"What do you want to eat? I'll cook," he asked as he took out a frying pan and put it on the stove.

"No! I'll cook today. You're still hurt. The wound isn't healed yet," she pushed him gently to make him sit at the kitchen island.

He watched her back as she turned on the stove before putting some oil on the pan.

His phone rang and he exhaled heavily before picking it up. Her eyes widened when she heard her old classmate's name being mentioned.

"Oh no, you don't have to visit me at the hospital. I'm fine. The wound isn't even that deep," Jay refused politely.

She tightened her grip around the spatula as she gritted the insides of her cheek, feeling annoyed.

"You don't have to bring your father to see me. I'm totally fine," he laughed awkwardly.

"I can never understand rich people trying to get what they want by using their fathers," Daera mumbled under her breath.

She made sure the meat wasn't burnt on the pan. "Alright. You can visit me later at the medical school. I'll see you later," he said before ending the call.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes before serving the grilled steak to him. Even though she was angry — and a bit jealous, she managed to decorate the plate nicely with the gravy and vegetables.

He thanked her before eating the steak. "So, when will you be meeting her?" She asked out of the blue as she avoided his eye contact.

"Probably tomorrow since I'm visiting the medical school for a bit."

He examined her movements and her expression before smiling to himself, "Why? Jealous?"

She scoffed again but loudly, "Why should I? I know that girl has had a crush on you for a long time. She can't stop drooling over you when you were teaching."

"I should probably try to date her. Who knows if she could be the one," he teased as he took another bite.

She glared at him and was about to leave until his hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards him, "Kang Daera, let me ask you this again. Are you jealous?"

Her eyes widened at how close his face was to hers. One wrong move and they both would kiss accidentally. She pushed his chest gently, "No. I'm fine."

With that, she left him alone as she went upstairs to her bedroom.