forty-two

Proposals everywhere.

Weddings everywhere.

In the hall, at the beach, near the pool. Everywhere.

When will I have my wedding?

Daera frowned as she looked at the bride and groom getting married near the beach. She was just about to have a quick stroll but her mood changed.

They reminded her of Jay. How she already planned a wedding in her head. And she remembered how Jay wanted to have a family with her.

Her heart was slowly breaking and she exhaled heavily, facing the sky, "Park Jay, where are you?"

She took a small packet of chocolate from her pocket before tearing it apart. She bit into the dessert and sat down on the sand, watching the waves crash against the shore.

"Eat this when you're stressed. It helps me a lot," Sunghoon said as he handed her a small packet of chocolate. She hesitantly took it and put it in her mouth, savouring the sweet taste.

It was the same chocolate that Sunghoon gave. He always had a container of those chocolates ready for her.

She knew she had to get ready for the Park Specialists' Hospital anniversary in California. She was invited as the director of the hospital in Seoul.

She checked her phone and saw a text from Edlyn.

I'm already here with Jake and Jiah. I'll see you tonight. Jiah is so excited to see you — Edlyn.

She smiled to herself and brought her legs to her chest, resting her chin on her knees.

Sunghoon fixed his bowtie and looked at himself in the mirror. He walked to the glass window of his penthouse and looked at the city lights twinkling at him.

His heart was pounding nervously knowing that he'll meet someone he longed to see. He picked up the invitation card on the small table next to him and saw Daera's name written in cursive as the director of the Park Specialists' Hospital in Seoul.

He didn't know what she would feel if she sees him, Heeseung and Jay at the party. Would she be mad? Sad? Disappointed? Happy?

For five months, Jay didn't even speak of her. But he didn't know what his friend was really feeling inside. He could probably hide his feelings of longing towards Daera.

Daera put on her heels before leaving her car. She entered the main hall and saw unfamiliar people talking to each other. They were probably the higher bosses from the hospital in other countries.

Edlyn's father does have a huge connection and own many hospitals from other countries. She smiled at other guests although she doesn't know who they were.

She saw Jiah and called the kid, "Jiah-yah!"

Jiah couldn't hear her. She was about to call again until she realised the kid was talking to a familiar person.

Jay?

Is that you?

He looked handsome that she couldn't recognise him from the first look. He looked taller, better. His smile made her heart flutter like she just met him for the first time. The way he picked up Jiah made her heart melt.

Before he could even see her, she turned around and walked away from the hall. There was too much information to process. A tear escaped from her eyes and she wiped it with her thumb.

She went to the terrace and inhaled the fresh night breeze, letting the wind push her hair off her shoulders. She held the railings and looked at the cars on the street below.

"Hey," a voice called her. She didn't want to turn around because she didn't want the person to see her crying.

Sunghoon smirked as he buried his hands into the pockets of his pants, "You're not going to look at me?"

He stood next to her and looked at the street below. She glared at him and smacked his back hard. He winced in pain and waited for her to calm down.

"How can you leave just like that?! Did you know how worried I was?! I thought Yeona had killed you!"

She cried into his chest and he pulled her into his embrace, comforting her. He gently patted her back and rested his chin on her shoulder, "I'm right here now. You don't have to be worried."

"Why didn't you call me when you woke up? Why did you move so far away?" She asked again.

He looked at the entrance and saw Jay standing, watching them. He smiled and pulled away, "There's someone who would like to meet you."

She turned around and looked at Jay with shocked eyes. Sunghoon patted his friend's back before leaving the terrace.

Jay approached her slowly, making her back away with small steps.

"What are you doing?" She sobbed and looked away. She was about to leave until he gripped her wrist gently, "Please. Talk to me."