forty-six

"Do you think Edlyn would like this?" Jake asked as he showed Jay a necklace. Jay nodded and turned his eyes back to the ring section. He wanted to choose the perfect ring for Daera.

I am going to propose to her.

"Would you like to go for a classic diamond engagement ring, Mr Park?" The store staff asked politely.

"Can I take a look at the options you have?" He asked and waited as the staff showed him five diamond rings.

"This one is from our latest collection. You can see that there are three diamonds on this ring. It's one of the most expensive jewellery we have here."

Jake patted his back, "Hey, you don't need to be so worried. She loves you and she'll be happy with whatever ring you get for her."

"Daera likes something simple. I'm scared that I'll make her uncomfortable if I buy something too extravagant."

The staff smiled, "Would you like to see this ring, Mr Park? It's simple yet elegant. Your significant other would love this if she goes for a simple style."

Jay smiled in relief, "This is perfect."

"How much is this?" Jake asked. The staff took her calculator and pressed some buttons for a while. Jay and Jake exchanged nervous glances.

She was taking too long counting the price for just a ring.

"Including the tax and all, it costs about 25,000 dollars."

The two men stared at the staff in shock, their mouths opened wide. Jay sighed, "Why am I acting as if I can't afford it," he said before handing the woman his black card.

The sun was slowly setting. Jay linked his arm with Daera as he led her to a tent by the beach. She looked at the fairy lights decorated around the tent and a mat on the sand.

Two bottles of champagne were on the mat next to a picnic basket. She smiled at him and sat down, seeing the waves crashing against the shore. Stars were greeting them as they twinkled in the dark sky.

"I need to ask you something," they both said in unison. "You first," he laughed awkwardly.

She took a deep breath.

This is it. I'm going to propose to him.

"You have liked me for years and I was stupid for not realising my real feelings towards you. You took care of me and protected me. Meeting you again after months of being apart from each other is like a dream to me. A dream that makes me wish I never wake up."

"I really wish that you feel the same way. And I wish that you would spend the rest of your life with me. Jay, will you marry me?" She asked, smiling excitedly.

"No," he said. She looked at him in disbelief, "No?"

"Why would–No, I mean–" he stuttered and exhaled tiredly. She turned away and bit her bottom lip, awkward to continue the conversation.

He slowly took out a ring box from his pocket and frowned, "I was supposed to propose to you first."

She gasped in surprise, "Oh my God, I'm so sorry."

She took out a paper ring she made earlier, "I didn't have time to find you a ring so I made this. I'm so sorry, I didn't know you were going to propose."

She tried to put the ring around his finger but it wouldn't fit. "You know what, I'm just going to keep this for a while," he said and put the paper ring aside.

She sighed guiltily, "I just ruined your proposal. And this stupid damn ring won't fit."

"Hey, I love the ring, okay? The fact that you put some effort to make me one," he comforted her.

She glared at him, "Stop acting. We both know the ring is worth nothing. It's made of paper. I just glued it."

He chuckled and opened the box, revealing the diamond ring that sparkled. She smiled, "Were you searching for an engagement ring all this time? I thought you're shopping for clothes with Jake."

"Kang Daera, will you marry me?"

She nodded, "Yes," as she watched him put the ring on her finger.

"It fits," he said happily.

He sent her to her hotel room and was about to leave when she pulled his hand. Jay turned around and looked at her confusedly.

"Do you...want to eat ramyeon with me?" She asked shyly. He blushed and looked away, trying to pull himself together. He followed her into the hotel room and rolled his sleeves to his elbows.

She was about to go into the bedroom until she saw him boiling some water. He took out two instant noodles packets and waited for the kettle to make a noise.

She looked at him in disbelief, "Are you really cooking some ramyeon?"

She approached him and stared at the kettle in disbelief. He smirked, "What do you have in mind?"

All the thought that was in her mind faded, replaced with a thought that told her to run away. She was surprised at how bold she became and asked herself internally why she told him to "eat ramyeon" with her.

"You know what? Nevermind," she tried to walk away immediately but he grabbed her arm.

"Don't you want to tell me, sweetheart?" He asked. She blushed at the nickname he gave her.

"Please don't call me that," she blushed harder than before. He was amused at her reaction as he eyed her up and down.

"Let's just have some noodles," she changed the topic, ripping off the packet.

He hugged her from behind and kissed her head before resting his head on her shoulder.

"I love you so much," he said softly.