Chapter 8

Harry POV

Sirius has been well groomed and fed for the past week, so he looks much better now. He wanted to come with me to Diagon Alley so he will. As Padfoot of course.

It was decided that I would meet up with Ron and Hermione today (9th August) in the Alley. So with the list in my had and anything else which is required, I stepped into the floo with Padfoot and said, "Diagon Alley." We ended up in the Leaky Cauldron. 

I stepped out to the wastebasket area and tapped the brick sequence. The entrance opened. As welcoming as always.

3rd POV

Harry went to Flourish and Blotts and looked at his booklist for the first time once outside the shop and saw the Monster book on it which he had received on his birthday from Hagrid. Now he understood why Hagrid sent that.

As Harry entered Flourish and Blotts, the manager came hurrying toward him.

"Hogwarts?" he said abruptly. "Come to get your new books?" 

"Yes," said Harry, "I need —" 

"Get out of the way," said the manager impatiently, brushing Harry aside.He drew on a pair of very thick gloves, picked up a large, knobbly walking stick, and proceeded toward the door of the Monster Books' cage. 

"Hang on," said Harry quickly, "I've already got one of those."

"Have you?" A look of enormous relief spread over the manager's face."Thank heavens for that. I've been bitten five times already this morning—"

"Stroke the book's spine and it will calm down," Harry cut him off with an amused face.

The manager looked oddly at him before reaching out to one of those books and trying Harry's advice. To his surprise and relief, it worked. 

"Thank you. Thank you so much young man. What other books do you need?"

"Ancient Runes Made Easy beginners' level book on Ancient Runes written by Laurenzoo, Intermediate Transfiguration and The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Three, and The Arithmancer's Guide to Arithmancy." 

After gaining his memories back, Harry had opted to take ancient runes and arithmancy instead of divination. Oddly, Dumbledore tried to convince Harry to take that useless subject... He didn't know why, but was determined to find out. (I really wonder why. Note the sarcasm)

He had all of his book and ten minutes later, he sat at the Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor with Padfoot when he saw his two best friends exiting Amanuensis Quills.

"Ron! Hermione!" He called out to his friends. They waved at him before running towards him and Hermione gave him a huge hug and Ron thumped his back. 

"Harry! Mate, where were you? Dad was so worried, you weren't in your muggle relatives' house We heard what happened to your aunt and that was funny. But are you alright?" Ron asked without missing a beat.

"Yes Ron I am fine. I was living in the Potter Manor. Where's Scabbers?" Harry asked.

"In my pocket. Why?" Ron asked perplexed, but luckily, continued speaking without giving Harry a chance to think of an excuse. "Speaking of Scabbers, I want to get him checked over," he added, placing Scabbers on the table in front of them, still holding him pinned to the table. "I don't think Egypt agreed with him." 

Scabbers was looking thinner than usual, and there was a definite droop to his whiskers. Harry knew why he looked so. It was not Egypt, it was Sirius Black escaping Azkaban. Padfoot was growling from behind Harry. Pettigrew looked even more scared and was shrinking into Ron's hands.