Chapter 16

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville entered the hall next morning to find everyone staring at Harry like he had grown a second head.

"Ignore them," Hermione said from behind Harry.

Harry dropped into a seat at the Gryffindor table, next to George Weasley

"New third-year course schedules," said George, passing them over.  

"George, any idea why everyone is staring at me? Including the professors?" Harry asked.

"Uhh, do you remember what happened on the train yesterday? When me and Fred were in your compartment."

Harry frowned in confusion before groaning. "How did it get out so much that the Professors know it too?"

"Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil were in the next compartment and they saw the whole thing. They didn't know that it was a Patronus, but the description is enough for everyone to figure it out," Fred said from beside George.

People were staring and gossiping. 

Harry ignored them and helped himself to sausages and fried tomatoes. 

Hermione was examining her new schedule. "Ooh, good, we're starting some new subjects today," she said happily

"Hermione," said Ron, frowning as he looked over her shoulder, "they've messed up your schedule. Look — they've got you down for about ten subjects a day. There isn't enough time." 

"I'll manage. I've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall."

"But look," said Ron, laughing, "see this morning? Nine o'clock, Muggle Studies. And" — Ron leaned closer to the schedule, disbelieving — "look — underneath that, Arithmancy, nine o'clock. I mean, I know you're good, Hermione, but no one's that good. How're you supposed to be in two classes at once?" 

"Don't be silly," said Hermione shortly. "Of course I won't be in two classes at once."

"Well, then —"

"Pass the marmalade," said Hermione.

"But —" 

"Oh, Ron, what's it to you if my schedule's a bit full?" Hermione snapped. "I told you, I've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall." 

Just then, Hagrid entered the Great Hall. He was wearing his long moleskin overcoat and was absentmindedly swinging a dead polecat from one enormous hand 

"All righ'?" he said eagerly, pausing on the way to the staff table. "Yer in my firs' ever lesson! Right after lunch! Bin up since five gettin' everythin' ready. . . . Hope it's okay. . . . Me, a teacher . . . hones'ly. . . ."

He grinned broadly at them and headed off to the staff table, still swinging the polecat. 

"Wonder what he's been getting ready?" said Ron, a note of anxiety in his voice. 

The hall was starting to empty as people headed off toward their first lesson. Ron checked his course schedule.

"Harry, why did you change your electives now?" He moaned.

"Well, I looked a bit into the subjects and found ancient runes and arithmancy interesting. So I changed to them. I'll attend classes for arithmancy and self study ancient runes."

"But those subjects are difficult. You haven't been yourself for sometime now Harry..."

Harry, Hermione and Neville tensed a bit, only enough for Fred and George to narrow their eyes in suspicion. 

"Ron, we have something to tell you. Though we can't tell you now. How about after our classes are over?" Harry said.

"Ok? But we? Who all?"