Chapter 28

Harry and Sirius were taken to the Black and Lestrange family manager's office.

After a few moments, the tried on the rings. Both of them were accepted.

"Sirius, I need to go down to Bellatrix's vault," Harry told Sirius when they stepped into the main lobby of the bank.

"Why?" Sirius asked, frowning.

"Can't say."

Sirius sighed but nodded before speaking with a teller about going to the Bellatrix's vault.

They clambered into the cart that went about halfway to the Founders' vaults before coming to a halt. They got off and turned the corner, where something made them stop.

A gigantic dragon was tethered to the ground in front of them, barring access to four or five of the deepest vaults in the place. The beast's scales had turned pale and flaky during its long incarceration under the ground. Its eyes were milkily pink. Both rear legs bore heavy cuffs from which chains led to enormous pegs driven deep into the rocky floor. Its great spiked wings, folded close to its body, would have filled the chamber if it spread them, and when it turned its ugly head toward them, it roared with a noise that made the rock tremble, opened its mouth, and spat a jet of fire that sent them running back up the passageway.

"It is partially blind," said the goblin, "but even more savage for that. However, we have the means to control it. It has learned what to expect when the Clankers come."

The goblin pulled out a number of small metal instruments that when shaken made a loud, ringing noise like miniature hammers on anvils. He handed them out.

"It will expect pain when it hears the noise: It will retreat."

They advanced around the corner again, shaking the Clankers, and the noise echoed off the rocky walls, grossly magnified, so that the inside of Harry's skull seemed to vibrate with the din. The dragon let out another hoarse roar, then retreated. Harry could see it trembling, and as they drew nearer he saw the scars made by vicious slashes across its face, and guessed that it had been taught to fear hot swords when it heard the sound of the Clankers.

The goblin pressed his palm to the wood, causing the door of the vault melted away to reveal a cavelike opening crammed from floor to ceiling with golden coins and goblets, silver armor, the skins of strange creatures - some with long spines, others with drooping wings - potions in jeweled flasks, and a skull still wearing a crown.

The goblin snapped his fingers and the room filled with light. Harry looked around at the stuff carefully, deciding to check if his locket was there. He asked the goblin to wait outside before hissing for the locket to open. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Sirius stiffen up for a moment before looking around. Sensing no movement, he decided his locket was not their.

Then he looked though the shelves when something caught his eye. It was the Hufflepuff cup! He quickly climbed over a few treasures to grab Helga's cup and placed it in one of his his robe pockets before going back to a bewildered Sirius and tugging him out of the vault when the man didn't respond to his name being called.

Soon they were back in the cart, riding back upwards and reaching the doors which led to the lobby. The pair of them walked out and Sirius turned to look at Harry.

"What was that cup you took?" He asked suspiciously.

Harry sighed but pulled Sirius to a secluded corner and spoke in a low voice, "Sirius, me and a few of my friends have a few closely-guarded secret that we can't risk being overheard. Could you wait till Christmas? Me and my friends will explain it to you the best of our ability without the risk of being overheard."