Chapter 15: Mother

Later that night I couldn't fall asleep, tossing and turning until I got up and went to the kitchen for a glass of water or two. I got to the kitchen as dimly lit as it is. I'm not in the mood to even touch or better yet switch on the lights.

I made for the sink, grabbed a glass and poured water. I gulped down the first glass, poured a second and gulped it down too. I was about to pour a third when I saw a figure move so quickly outside the window. I heard footsteps coming from down the hallway.

I kept quiet and slowly got down on the floor hiding behind the counter. The person was actually tiptoeing and it's mom. She made for the door and slowly unlocked it and pulled it open and someone sneaked in. I'm guessing it's Frederick Douglass! She led him in and locked the door behind them.

They tiptoed to the guestroom,closing the door behind them. By now my heart has won the race it has been speeding to complete and now a new emotion was born. Hate! I hate myself for all of this. I hate myself for not being able to say something.

I heard a few shuffling coming from the guestroom and then I heard soft moans, groans and whispers. That is not Frederick's voice or is it because they are mating and voices change? Probably! I will wait here, I want to see if this really is him or mom is sleeping around with everyone here. Moments passed and minutes turned to hours.

I gave up and made my way up the stairs slowly. As I reached the top, I heard the door open and they tiptoed out again. I stood right at the top and watched as they tiptoed towards the door. That is definitely not Frederick Douglass. Frederick is a bit lean in shape and this man looks muscular.

I turned and walked into my room, slamming the door behind me. I didn't care whether anyone heard me or anything. I threw myself on the bed and actually managed to doze off. Awakened was I by a bang sound coming from outside. I sat upright, got off the bed and peeped through the curtains. It was the mail man.

There's a package this time around, for some reason I felt like it was for me. I ran downstairs, opened the door and literally ran to the gate to see what's in the mailbox. I opened it quickly and found a cute small box with a ribbon on top and it's for me! Oh and the other letters.

I took everything inside and found the parents standing in the doorway, arms crossed on their chests and I smiled and said,"it's just the mail, here your letters!" No one moved. Mom spoke,"What about the box?" Oh no! "What box?"  "The one in your hand" "Oh that's just nothing, it's from a friend" She moved towards me,"Which friend northodox? You don't have any friends! You're a lonely girl." Ah ouch!

She will not bow me down."That's where you're mistaken. I do have friends. You're just not around all the time to witness my happiness or see my friends and..." She literally shouted,"Names. Give me names! I would definitely like to talk to their parents, find out alittle more about them."

I looked at dad hoping he would rescue me but as always he keeps quiet,"Since when did you care mom?" "Since you brought a guy in here last night! You think I didn't see you! I'm not that stupid!" I was fumming with anger. She's pinning this all on me? I took a deep breath, she's my mother,I love her and  despite being a bitch, I do respect her alot,

"That was Rachel,my friend,she couldn't sleep here because I don't really know why, so I walked her out the front door and she..." "Rachel who?!" "Rachel Douglass!" She looked at me shocked because I'd mentioned that surname.

I continued,"Yes! Frederick's daughter. I'm going to be late for school!" I ran up the stairs and into my room eager to open the box. I first did my hygiene process,got dressed and sat on the bed and opened the box. A letter popped up and it went like:

Dear Grumpy

I'm not here to apologise,not because you don't deserve it but because I would like to do it in person. I want to see your face when I apologise. I've hurt you more than anyone ever has because understanding your pain. I ended up adding to it. I'm a coward,a loser because I've lost the best thing that ever happened to me which is you I'm not sure what to say. I live in Hilton now and I didn't plan to leave you. I wish I would see you. I love you. Please don't hate me... Reply to this letter and mail it too. Please!

      Yours truly
         Dumbass

A silent tear rolls down my cheek. Let me text him instead.

-Hey Finn, um don't you know that we have phones now? Why do you want me to write you a letter Instead?

A minute later he replied.

-Because I want us to be unique. Hope you understand that and also stuff written is so much better than texted stuff.

-You old soul you!

-Yeah you can say that, but please do reply to my Letter on paper. I attached the address.bye

-Bye Finn

My heart sank to the bottom of I don't know what. But it was definitely not in its place. I felt like something just came and snatched a whole part of me away. I had so many emotions wanting to come to the surface but I suppressed all of them.

I stood up from my bed and walked to my study table , gathered books I need that day and left to go sit in the car. A minute later they all came out and we drove to school. Just as I was about to jump out of the car dad said,"I know everything now!" What? I turned And Faced him,"what do you mean?" He cleared his throat and said,"Your mom? She's cheating on me" I shook my head."I'm telling you not asking you!" I closed my eyes and took a deep breath then got back inside the car.

"Dad what are you telling me?" He took out his iPad and it sort of had a map and a red dot clicking and moving."You see that? She's on the move and no that's not where her workplace is. She's left it a few minutes ago"

"You put a tracking device on her?!" He looked at me then said,"Yes, yes I did! Every man  can go to any extent for the woman he most definitely loves! I love your mother and I'm not even angry at her. I just want to beat her up! Twist her neck and cut her fingers out. But then again I just want to hold her tightly and embrace her, kiss her passionately and make sweet love to her. You know love is a very dangerous feeling. You will understand someday how it feels. There! You see that? There's your mother! What is she wearing?"

I hadn't realised that all this time dad has been driving. I was so caught up in his emotional state that I got carried away to another universe that just seems blizzardly (is that a word?) beautiful.

I got back to reality when dad knocked someone's car and got out carrying a baseball bat. Where the fuck did he get that?! I got out of the car and ran to him and tried grabbing the bat. I was unfortunately late because he had hit the windscreen broken and now he was dealing with the driver's  window.

It's the Audi A8!! Damn! Can dad please stop!! Tears were threatening to leave my eyes as I ran behind dad like a maniac. Mom got out of the passenger seat wearing a 36 inch Brazilian weave,red stilletos and a mini skin tight black dress.

"Stop it! Stop this bullshit  Benjamin!! What the fuck are you doing?" The guy got out of the car and said,"Such an animal! This is inappropriate! Who the fuck are you?" Dad didn't talk but grabbed mom by her arm, pulled her into our car and drove off. I'm guessing the guy understood everything by dad's action because he got into his car and sat there. He's probably waiting for his insurance company.