Chapter 16: the silent treatment.

The journey back home seemed way longer than usual. Everyone was silent. We got home, I didn't know what to do with myself. I wanted to say that I had school but got scared that mom would be alone when dad starts to beat her. I have to be there so I can help her. Dad walked inside the house leaving me and mom in the car alone. She turned and looked at me,"Well you don't even have shame being caught up in between your parents arguments. You're supposed to be at school ain't you?" I nodded she continued,"So why are you here?" I took a deep breath and said,"First of all stop just stop trying to switch things around again! Stand up for your truths. You're a cheating bastard! I love you and growing up with you hating had always had a negative impact on me." She laughed and said,"Oh wow you're not that stupid after. Listen here young lady. I cheated because of you!" What? " What do you mean?" She got out of the car and pulled me out too. We got inside the house and found dad sitting on the couch with his head in his hands. She shoved me on the couch and said,"If you want to know why I cheated on you Ben, it's because of her!" Dad didn't say anything but just looked at mom directly in the eyes. I noticed that his were full of a million questions,sadness, sorrow and grief and mom's were unreadable. "She took you away from me! You give her more attention than me! I am your wife! I need attention!" I know I am the witness of the affection/attention dad gives to mom. She's just lying that's all. She spoke everything nonsensical! I stopped listening. Dad just stood up, looking at me and said,"let me take you to school!" At first I got excited but then realised that no I don't want to go there. There's no Finn. So I said,"She's still talking though dad!" He looked around as if no one is there and said,"Who?! I don't see anyone here!" Mom kept quiet for the first time and I noticed a silent tear rolling down her face. "Come on sweety let's bounce to school. I know it's a pretty big house and sometimes you might get or just bump into someone you don't know or maybe a ghost." I felt my heart drop to my stomach and didn't move so he took my hand and led me to the car. We got inside and he drove me to school. I protested,"I don't want to go to school today dad! Not after what I'd witnessed." He started the engine again and said,"I understand so let's grab a coffee or something?!" I smiled and he drove to the mall. We entered a cafè,sat down and I spoke, "Dad please don't do this to mom" "Do what?!" "Don't silent treat her!" He clicked his tongue,"She deserves it!" "No she doesn't! Please forgive her. I'm apologising for her." "So now she can't apologise for herself?" I kept quiet,he continued,"Exactly! I just want her to apologise. I don't want no freaking explanation! Just an apology and that was not an explanation she was making excuses, blaming you for everything. What did you do? She's lying that I'm not affectionate with her! Just tell me, am I not?" "You are" "Thank you, she's not accepting her mistakes and perfecting them ,no! She's lying and blaming others! Such a witch!"

We sat in silence and ate. I noticed after I was done that he hadn't touched his cake slice or drank his coffee. He was simply staring into space. "Dad! Your coffee is going to get cold" he sighed and said,"Mmmmm yeah okay" he just put his hand on the fork and kept on playing with the cake. I was about to speak when I suddenly saw a tear roll down his face. My heart sank deeply. I didn't know that men as old as dad can break down in public. He buried his head in his hands and cried. People started staring at us but I didn't care. If a man's gotta cry , he has too! I was about to stand and go to him when my attention was caught by a woman causing havoc at a distance. She walked closer and she was my one and only mother, still wearing the outfit (heels and weave and dress) walking way faster than anyone in heels that high should. She spotted us and literally ran to us. She loves attention! Before she could reach us the waiter stopped her. "If you know what's good for you, You will let me pass!!" "No I can't do that ma'am!" The manager came to the waiter's rescue. "What's the problem here ma'am?" The waiter answered him instead,"She's trying to cause a scene madam, she wants to go and attack those customers over there! She has been shouting at them from a distance." "Okay thank you, ma'am please leave!" "I'm not going anywhere,That bitch and that bastard need..." "What do you mean?" "That's my husband!" Of course she won't mention me. Im the bad guy! I noticed that dad had stopped crying and was now standing up to leave. He made for the door after paying and I followed behind. As soon as he reached the entrance where mom was now the good guy and I'm the bitch and dad is the cheating bastard, mom stopped talking and looked at us, causing everyone to turn and look at us all disgusted and judgemental. We walked out without even looking at her and left. He walked faster so I had to call him out to slow down,"Dad! Wait! Do you want me to fall now?" He forced a small and grabbed me by my arm. "I got you! Let's go!" Someone heard me shout and said,"Hey! this is father and daughter. Why is that woman lying?!" "She just wants attention"said another. "They even look alike!!" Said someone else. Hahaha in your face mom! We reached milky Lane(ice cream shop) and dad bought me an ice cream sandwich and a bar one milkshake. He simply bought himself a newspaper on our way out. We reached the car,got in and drove home. I asked,"Dad?" "Mmmm?" " Why are you doing this?" "What?!" I looked at him and he answered me,"Well this is your final highschool year and I'd pretty much love to spend alot of time with you before you leave next year" "I'm curious though dad, what went wrong? What did you do to mom?" He sighed,"Honestly I don't know. She's a very insecure woman. Ever since we started dating at a young age." Now I want to know how they met and when they fell in love."Well when we get home,I'll tell you everything, from beginning up until now." How did he know I was going to ask that? Anyways, " This isn't the end now is it?" He sighed and spoke,"I don't want to but if that's what she wants then I'll be supportive of her" "Why? Dad! This is a woman you love! Won't you fight for her?!" He looked at me for sometime and said,"I've been fighting for her. Since forever! And I sacrificed alot for her!" " But does she know that? Does she know you've been fighting for her?" "I don't know, I'm not sure. She has always had things done her own way."

Before I knew it,we were home driving up the driveway. We got out and headed inside the house. Mom was there pacing up and down in the lounge. She has now changed into pants and a long sleeve shirt. Dressed Like a respectable mother and wife she used to be. Weave off and no make up. She came to us not saying anything. I'm guessing she is defeated too. Dad sat on the stool in the kitchen counter and she sat next to him. I gave dad a glass of water and mom too. Silence! They looked at each other and no one said anything to the other just intense eye contact. I'm guessing the souls are talking?