Chapter 16

"He's a bit of a hardass to people he doesn't know but once he warms up you'll be fine." I tell Jaxon and open my front door.

"The way you guys talk about him makes him seem nice, but I know he won't be at first and that's the part that makes me nervous." He admits.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"I'd say alcohol but I don't think that would make a good impression." He laughs.

"Probably not. How about water?"

"Sure."

We walk into the kitchen where Mom and Jordan have the computer already set up.

"He call yet?" I round the counter to see the screen still blank.

"Not yet, but if we're following his normal schedule it'll be about ten more minutes," Mom says. "Oh Jaxon hello."

"Hi Mrs. Romano." He leans against the doorway.

"It's Fiona, stop the formalities." Mom tells him.

He nods his head. Jordan hops off the chair and goes up to Jaxon who kneels down to his height.

"What's up little J?" He holds his fist out.

Jordan bumps it with his own, "I beat Christian in a race today. That was my favorite part of the day, Lex." He looks back at me.

"Awesome job kid." I give him a thumbs up.

"What's on your hat today?" Jordan takes Jaxon's head in between his hands and tilts it down. "Is that a bull?"

"Yeah, it's a basketball team, the Chicago Bulls."

I raise the glass of water to catch Jaxon's attention before placing it down on the counter.

"How many more minutes mommy?" Jordan runs back to his chair.

"About five." She takes a sip of her coffee.

"Do you wanna set up for our project in the living room?" I ask Jaxon.

He nods and turns around grabbing his bag off the floor. I grab the glass of water and follow behind him.

"When is this thing due again?" Jaxon takes a seat on the couch.

"I think in two weeks." I sit next to him pulling the papers out of my bag.

"We have everything down right? You wanna start making the video?"

"Might as well. Better to get it done early."

I hear a shocked gasp and a squeal come from the kitchen, "He must be on. Let's go." I grab his hand pulling him up.

I make it just into the doorway before I freeze, quickly letting go of Jaxon's hand. I bring both hands up to my mouth. I feel tears start to prick at the corners of my eyes.

Standing there hugging my mom and brother is my dad.

He looks up at the sound of footsteps and his glossy eyes meet my own, this is the first time that I've seen him cry when coming home. He let's go of Jordan and mom, taking steps toward me. He opens his arms wide and I don't hesitate to run into them.

We both let out a sigh, mine one of relief. Having him home and whole is better than any video chat. I squeeze him tighter, not fully convinced that he's actually here, but when he squeezes back I finally let the tears I've been holding in fall.

"You're really here." I whisper through the tightness in my throat.

"I'm here kid." He rests his chin on the top of my head.