Chapter 19

"We're down to the last thirty seconds of the fourth quarter, the Lions have the ball again. The Knights are behind just seven points, they'll need to pick up two more touchdowns to be able to win against the Lions, and the only way to do that is to get an interception. This game is more of a nail biter than the first game these teams played together." The announcer says.

Our families have all moved down to the edge of the field waiting to storm it once our boys win, and they will win. It's got nothing to do with optimism or cockiness or being biased for that matter. Our team's defense these last two quarters have been solid, we just need the boys to play everything perfectly and states are ours.

"God I'm nervous." Rosie bites her nails.

"I've got faith in them but shit I am too." Vi mumbles through the mouthful of cornbread she just shoved in there.

We've all got our nervous ticks, Rosie bites her nails, Vi stress eats and I crack my knuckles which is what I've been doing the last fourteen minutes and thirty seconds even though there's nothing left to crack.

"How was the halftime performance? I forgot to ask."

"More like a strip show." Rosie grumbled.

"That bad huh?" I flick my eyes over to Vi.

Terrible she mouths.

Thank god I missed it.

"Cara was the star of it and I'm pretty sure she had a nip slip." Rosie says.

"That's too much information."

"Well it's ingrained in my brain so if I gotta picture it so do you."

I know the announcer is talking about the game but as soon as that whistle blows every single noise is blocked out.

Nick once again snaps the ball to Felix who takes a couple steps back before looking up at who's open. He throws it to Micah who gets tackled but manages to throw the ball to Jaxon who catches it. A quick look at Micah ensures that he's fine, especially when he gets back up. Stephan and Matt do a great job of blocking part of Atlanta's defense allowing Felix to throw the ball before he gets tackled.

Next to me Rosie gasps, bringing her hands up to cover her mouth. I grasp her hand just as Alice throws her arm around Rosie's shoulders and pulls her in.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head, our boy is strong enough to handle a tiny little tackle."

"I know I just never like seeing him get thrown down." Rosie answers, squeezing my hand.

"Trust me that boy needs a little knock in the head." Dave grumbles.

I stifle a laugh and turn back to see Jaxon catch the ball and runs a couple more feet into the end zone just as the buzzer goes off.

"Did we just win?" Vi asks in disbelief.

"I think we did." I answered equally shocked.

"There you have it folks, the winners of tonight's state championship game are the Richmond Lions!" The announcer's voice grows louder.

The crowd erupts in cheers and our group sounds the loudest out of everyone, me and the girls are screaming and shouting at the top of my lungs and the dads are whistling.

"We freaking won!" I hug the girls.

"Lex they won!" Jordan comes up behind me and hugs my legs.

"What's up kid? You see that? That's how you win a game!"

"Castillo's okay after the hit in the second quarter right?" Dad comes up with mom.