Chapter 1 (First Day)

Madeline's pov:

Hello, my name is Madeline May O'connor, I have been in the foster system since I was 5 years old, I had witnessed my own father killing my mother and then, just as he went to kill me too, the cops showed up and arrested him, I was then sent to a orphanage. You'd think at 5 years old you'd have a good shot at finding a family, that would be true, if it wasn't for my stupid mental health.

You see, when you witness something so horrid, it stays with you, at 5 years old i was already suffering with really bad nightmares and had terrible attachment issues, all to be expected really, but that type of thing puts people of adopting you, they don't want to deal with it, its too much hassle. Unfortunately though, that meant I was often fostered by abusive people, it didn't matter how they hurt me, it's the fact they did.

Anyway, I'm now 12 years old and I live with 'The Andersons' I wish I could say they were nice, but that would be a lie, they are extremely neglective, they punish me alot and I don't mean the normal punishments you receive of your parents but you will understand more later on, im sure of it. Anyway, since a little kid, way before I ended up in the system, I always had a bit of a gift for acting.

So when my foster parents found out, they decided to take advantage of it and just use me to get the money, so even though, today is my first day working on the supergirl set, I'm not feeling as happy as I should, I wanted to pursue acting for the right reason, not because I need the money to give to my foster parents, or I get a beating. Its too much pressure for a kid, you know.

"You better impress them today, I want my money or else!" Mr Anderson, my foster father yelled, I nodded my head and replied "yes sir", I was then pushed out the house by Mrs Anderson, so I began walking to the set, when I arrived I instantly started to feel nervous, my hands started to shake, my heart racing, why did I have to have a panic attack now, out of all the times to go and have one, it was now.

"Hey there, are you ok?" I heard from a voice getting closer, I looked to my side and saw a stunning woman with black hair and beautiful eyes, one was green and the other was blue. I nodded my head to her but she bent down slightly so her eyes were facing mine "we both know that's not true, just breathe ok? Deep breath in and out, you can do it", after a moment of trying to control my breathing and doing what she said, I suddenly felt alot better.

I looked back at the woman and gave her a small smile "thank you" i said shyly, she nodded her head and smiled back at me "no worries at all, so, you must be the newbie, we were told a kid was joining us, don't worry, it will be fine, everyone here is super friendly, besides, your going to be with Melissa most of the time and she's a real gem". Just then a blonde beauty walked towards us and called the name 'Katie'.

The woman who was beside me smiled to the blonde "oh hey Mel, I was just talking about you", the blonde who I now know is Melissa smiles back "good things I hope". Katie, the black haired woman then chuckles a little "yes, I was just reassuring..." she then looks at me and says apologetically "sorry, I forgot to ask your name, how silly of me". I quietly reply back to her "Madeline, but call me Maddie".

The woman smiles and then looks to Melissa and continues what she was saying "I was reassuring Maddie here that everyone here is super friendly and that she hasn't got to worry, especially since most of the scenes will be with you". Melissa then nods her head and then crouches down slightly, making eye contact with me, she then smiles, I smile a little back to her, I couldn't let people find out about my life.

"Honestly, we are all one big family, you have nothing to be scared of and plus, Katie is right, you'll be with me most of the time, I'll look out for you, okay?" Melissa says reassuringly as she looks me in the eye, I nod my head in acknowledgement. Melissa and Katie then walk me to where we were all going to be, I take a seat at a table and decide to keep out the way until I am called upon by the director.

Just then a woman with short brown hair takes a seat opposite to me, she smiles and then starts to speak "hey, it's Maddie right? I'm Chyler, I just wanted to say it's really nice to have you on set, I know your probably really scared right now, so I won't fill your head with too much, but just know we have you back, your one of us now". I smile at the woman and nod my head, I wasn't going to reply but then something inside me told me I should "erm, thank you".

After about an hour of me sat at the table reading the script, the director then calls my name, I take my position and start to act my scene. I had alot of applause from those around me, the director even complimented me "that was amazing Maddie, you definitely have talent, go take a break and then the next scene you will be with Melissa and Chyler", I nod my head in reply and do exactly that.

"Wow, just wow, I wasn't expecting that, you seem so shy and quiet but in front of the camera... Absolutely incredible, really!!" Katie said as she took a seat opposite me, I smiled back at her and replied in my shy way "thank you". Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, yes I was worried, but I sure felt safe here, everyone was really nice, maybe it felt a little weird, I wasn't used to this type of kindness all the time, I really liked Chyler, Melissa and Katie, they all seemed so caring.

After doing my third and last scene of the day, I decided to ask the director the dreaded question, my pay, I needed to know when I would receive my money, not because I wanted it, because I didn't want a beating. He seemed a little taken back when I asked him but he sure enough answered my question, I would get paid at the end of the week. Somehow I doubt 'The Andersons' would be impressed with that, but I didn't have a choice but to accept it.

As I was abouts to make my way hone I was stopped by Melissa and Katie "Hey Maddie" they both called out in unison, I walked over to them and looked up at them. Melissa then asked "where are you going?", I look back at her and smile and probably sounded a bit too sassy when I answered "erm, home, we're finished for the day, remember?". Melissa chuckles a little "I know that silly, I mean where are your parents? Your not walking back are you?".

I then stand there for a moment but then answer "yea, it's not far", the two women look at one and other, Katie places a hand on my shoulder "sweetie, you're not walking home, it's not safe, me or Melissa can drive you". She wasn't wrong, it was 7.30 pm and the street we lived on wasn't exactly sunshine and roses. "That's ok, I couldn't ask you to do that" I reply, hoping they would let me, if they saw where I lived, they might see through my act.

Melissa then replies "nonsense, plus you didn't ask, we offered, no way are we getting in our cars knowing that your walking back at this time of night, you don't know who's about at this time of night", Katie nods in agreement. I knew I wasn't getting out of this so I just smiled and acted like I was pleased "ok, erm, thank you", Katie then chuckled a little "you don't have to thank us all the time you know, your so polite Maddie it's so sweet".

In the end i ended up getting a lift by Katie, Melissa hugged us both goodbye and told us she would see us tomorrow, when I was sat in Katie's car, I could feel her look at me every now and then, like she was trying to read me, but I kept a smile on my face, hoping to hide all my real feelings. I was going to have to be so careful around her, if anyone was going to find out it would be her. "This is the place?" Katie finally asked in a shocked mannor as we pulled up outside the house.

I nodded my head and she leaned forward to give me a hug and then took my seat belt off, she smiled "ill see you tomorrow then Maddie, have a good evening and have a good sleep when you go sweetie". I smiled back at her and replied "see you tomorrow Katie, you too!", I then got out the car and stud there and waved as she drove off, I then mentally prepared myself as I turned around and faced the front door and slowly started to turn the door handle.