Chapter 5 (We care)

Katie's pov

What I heard Maddie say to the cop was really hard to hear, I mean I guessed she had it hard when she told me and Melissa what her foster dad did to her rabbit, no normal parent would do that. But to find out all the other stuff, it's so so sad, she's such a beautiful sweet soul, I don't know why anyone would want to hurt her.

It did make me realise something though, as much as its hard to say it and I think I'm crazy for even considering it, but she needs a home, with someone who actually loves her and I think I could give her that. We've definitely clicked and I like to think that she trusts me, I mean she did go to my trailer, that's something at least. I will talk to her about it later, at the moment though, she needs to rest.

"Hey, how you feeling?" asked Melissa who entered the hospital room, I turned to face her and smiled a little "ok I guess, the doctor said she will be fine, she has quite a few injuries though, old and new, plus he said she hasn't been eating properly, for a long time by the sounds of it, poor girls been through so much, its, its just so terrible, you know?".

Melissa placed her hand on my shoulder and gave me her sweet encouraging smile "yes, it is, from what you told me, she definitely hasn't had a good life but maybe things can change for the better now, I mean she has us, the whole set I mean, everyone is worried about her, Chyler, Floriana and David are in the waiting room, she has the support, something she's never had before".

I looked at her and frowned as I looked back at the small girl "yea, except she would go back into the system and I really don't want that for her Mel, I really don't, she needs someone to be there for her properly, she needs to have someone who will love her unconditionally, god she probably doesn't even know how it feels to be loved by someone". My friend gave me a smile and hugged me.

"So what are you going to do?" she asked, I hesitated for a moment as I tried to process what I was actually thinking of doing "I think I am going to adopt her", I think it definitely took Melissa by surprise as she looked at me and didn't reply straight away. I'm not surprised though, that kind of news would shock someone "w, wait, have you even thought this through, having a kid is a big responsibility, are you sure you can do it?".

I then stand up and take my friend to the side I bite my lip before I speak up "I'm aware of that but I'm not getting any younger, I'm not even in a relationship yet and it's not like I don't have anything to offer, I can give this girl so so much, I can be that person she needs, I honestly think we crossed paths for a reason, I was meant to meet her, I am meant to adopt her". Melissa bites her lip also and then smiles as she agrees "OK".

After a awkward moment of silence, my friend finally says "right, well, erm, I'm gonna go see the others, do you want a coffee or something?", I nod my head and thank her before I sit back in the chair beside the bed. Several minutes later I hear movement so I look at Maddie, too which she is slowly opening her eyes, she stirred and whimpered a little as she woke up. When she was finally awake I smiled sweetly at her when her eyes met mine.

"Hey there, good sleep?" I asked her, she nodded a little and then started to look around the room, trying to make sense of where she was "your in the hospital sweetheart, you fell asleep and after I spoke to the police, they suggested I take you to get checked out" I then said as I tried to be as reassuring as possible. She then seemed to panic "I'm sorry" she said frantically and I could see the tears start to surround her beautiful brown eyes.

Madeline's pov

"Hey, hey, no, don't say sorry, you have absolutely nothing to apologise for whatsoever, honestly sweet, your fine" I hear Katie say warmly as she leans forward to give me a hug, I did flinch a little. As she held me in that embrace i heard her whisper into my ear soothingly "your safe now Maddie, you don't have to be scared anymore, the Andersons aren't going to hurt you again, nobody is, you have my word on that sweetheart".

I smiled a little before I broke down into tears, she had definitely helped sooth me, to the point I was a mess, she helped me let go, she helped me release all them feelings I was locking away inside. So I did something I'd never done before, I cuddled into her some more as she held me "thank you" I said as I thought about how much she had helped me, from the very first day she saw me she was there, she believed in me when nobody else did, including myself.

But then I started to think about how I'm going to end up back in the system and I felt all the negative thoughts came flooding back "i appreciate everything you've done, even though I'm going back into the system, I'm still glad I got to meet you and the cast, so thank you, thank you for showing me that I could have happiness in my life". She then frowned as she looked at me in the eye "sweetie..." she started to say.

I look at her in confusion "what's wrong?", she then smiles and continues "I don't want you going back into that system, it's failed you so much", I then smile back at her and reply "it's no secret that the system sucks, but there is nothing you can do about it, I'm always going to be a foster kid, nobody wants to adopt a kid of my age". She then gave me a sympathetic look and I could tell she was hiding something.

But it didn't stay hidden for long and as I heard the words come out her mouth I had to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing "can I adopt you?" she asked. Why would she want to adopt me? I'm nothing special, she could find someone alot more better than me, she could have a baby, why pick a kid hitting puberty?, she must've seen through me though as she smiled and then interrupted my thoughts.

"I know what your thinking Mads, that you don't deserve it, that someone else does, that your not worthy enough of it, but you are, I want you Maddie, nobody else, me and you have gotten close you know, we've clicked from the start, I want to be there for you officially, I mean it, your beautiful, smart, kind and so much more" she said as she placed her hand on my lap. She smiled and so did I as I replied "yes, yes you can adopt me, thank you so so much, I'm never gonna forget this".