Chapter 1 (Edited)

If your mother tried to yank your warm covers and draw the curtains as much as she can, would you wake up?

Yes. Hell yes.

I groaned, burying my head in my pillow. I could already hear her reciting her favourite speech: When I Was. It didn't really have a name, but I liked to call it that. Every morning, Mom would talk to me about how her life was like when she was my age. Now, there was nothing wrong with that; it was actually pretty cool sometimes. But everyday? Every morning? It wasn't something that I could cope with for the rest of my basic teenage life.

After a few minutes, I finally pushed myself off the mattress. My eyelids were half closed and my brain was still asleep. After grabbing my belongings, I headed for the bathroom. I had a shower and freshened up. The sound of Material Girl was blasting through the walls next to the bathroom and I was half afraid it might explode. And maybe it will.

Oh, Penny, I thought as I tried to tame my curly locks. It was a very real struggle, let me tell you.

Penny's my fraternal twin. I'd say she's the girly one out of the two of us, and the more Mean Girls Plastics-esque. She's almost like a Regina George reincarnate, in some ways.

I wiped my face with a towel and walk to her door, it was in the exact opposite spot of where my bedroom door was.

"Will you turn it down a little?!" I yelled after I had knocked three times. I wasn't sure if she could hear me over the music, the volume could break eardrums from miles away.

The light pink door swung open and I was met with Barbie in the flesh. "How dare you bang on my precious door! You probably chipped the paint," Penny reprimanded using her not-so-excellent faux accent. I rolled my eyes at her. Our family is far from British, however, according to her, this is her way of spicing things up.

"Just turn the volume down. You know how Dad is sometimes," I reminded her, a stern expression on my face.

"Fine," she replied, no doubt annoyed. She then proceeded to slam the door in my face.

Figures. She managed to make me look like the bad guy. Again.

I waltzed down the stairs and went straight to the kitchen. Mom's already created a feast fit for a king. I always told her that it was just breakfast and that she didn't have to make a big fuss about it, but, of course, to her, that wasn't the case. "Every meal should always be special," she'd always tell me. I couldn't help but grin though, I loved the smell of coffee and pancakes in the morning.

"My, my, my, Elouise Maree. Glad to see you're up," Mom greeted with her usual gigantic smile. I swear, no one should be allowed to be this happy at nine thirty in the morning.

I sat on one of the chairs in front of the island bench. "Good morning to you too, mother." She sipped her coffee and sat across from me as we waited for both Dad and Penny. "Have you seen Dad?" I asked, looking around the room for him.

She twisted her lips. "Perhaps he's still on his morning run."

"How long do you think he'll be out?"

"Just a few more minutes. What about Penelope?"

I frowned. "Awake and British."

Mom chuckled at my statement and pinches my cheek. "You always were funny," she remarked before walking away. Mom wasn't my best friend or anything, but we're open with each other, which was good.

It was Mom that I got my looks from, while Penny's feature were more similar to Dad's. Like my mother, I had long, dark brown hair and light, crystal blue eyes. The curls, however, I got from my dad. I wouldn't consider myself fat nor skinny, but I would say I was slim with maybe the right amount of curves. I was fine with that, contented actually; albeit I was no stranger to self-criticism. My sister, on the other hand, had straight, strawberry blonde hair and pretty, ebony lenses like our Dad's. Similarly, Penny had a slim build. Although, I'm pretty sure she was more curvaceous than I was. The sound of footsteps grew louder and I released a sigh. Her all too preppy energy was palpable, it was a scary thing.