My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 27

Chapter 27

I used to like Fridays. Now the pageant ruined them for me.

It was a class-free day for every student and staff member of Lincoln Bay High. You can blame Mr Brower and his super duper school spirit for that. I guess this week's challenge would be interesting. And in saying that, I'm ignoring the huge disadvantage that I have. Thank God I have the idiotic - but still athletic - bad boy as my partner. The sun is up and surprisingly blazing. At this time of the year, it's usually cool, but today, the heat is unforgiving and there are bearly any clouds.

We, as in all the contestants and their plus one's, were all gathered in a lopsided tent. Two pairs were yet to arrive, but I was still squished between Emily Lang, who was ever so cute, and Karen Truman's beefy boyfriend. A couple more minutes of waiting and finally, the last four people have arrived. The first to step inside were Macy and her baby-faced cousin, Trevor. Anna Stanton followed suit, completely pumped and beautiful. Her partner didn't go in as quickly as she did. I guess he was taking his time, just like me when I saw his face.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again: my life is such a freaking cliché.

When I was a kid, I wanted to do lots of stuff. I dreamed of becoming an astronaut, a ballerina - heck, I even wanted to join NBA at one point. Never have I ever thought about entering pageants and winning awards like Miss Photogenic. That was all Penny. She was the one who was pretty in pink. She was the one who dreamed of being saved by her prince charming or a knight in shining armor. Now, as previous events flash in my mind, there was only one thing that came to mind.

You have got to be kidding me.

There he was, strutting inside our cramped meeting place. His dark hair was messily perched atop his head, his alluring eyes hiding behind a pair of stylish sunglasses. He looked the picture of ease, as if nothing bothered him. Not the overall sweaty haze in the tent. Not even the disgusting throat-clearing noises that came from none other than Mr Brower.

Anna tugged him forward, sensing the need to hurry. He casually took off his sunnies. It revealed two electric blue lenses that were brighter than the sky and deeper than the cobalt hue of the ocean. He caught me looking at him, but I averted my eyes. On some unwarranted level, I felt betrayed. Sneaking a peak at them, you could see how good they looked together. A perfect fit, like jigsaw pieces.

There goes the beginning of that prickle in my eyes.

Ignore them, Elouise.

But-

Focus on the challenge.

And for once, I actually agreed with my conscience. There was nothing I could do now. Except for using this as my fuel for the competition.

Mr Brower explained the reason why this particular challenge was chosen, all the while handing each pair a list of rules and a sealed envelope. It felt like a scene from TV show I used to watch, The Amazing Race.

Anyway, we were only allowed to use one combination from the three transportation options. There was on foot and on skateboards. The other was on foot and on bicycles. I would have worried not owning a bike, but the school's already providing it.

Of course, we agreed on bikes.

After that, Zeke took the liberty of tearing the envelope apart once we were dismissed.

Figures.

"You ready, Walton?" he asked, gazing at me with his dancing eyes. They were holding an emotion I wasn't used to seeing - pure and raw determination.