My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 47

Chapter 47

"In the beginning--"

"What is this, a Bible story?" I interrupt, looking at him weirdly.

"Stop being so anti-Christ," he retorts, rolling his eyes.

"Stop being so judgemental," I say, "I wasn't even."

Me and Charlie walk inside Café Luisiana with a couple shopping bags, bickering like children--as per usual. The place is still cozy, still full of TLC. Its general warmth radiates in waves; it's very much impossible not to notice. I mean, you'd have to be blind not to.

You said feel. You don't need your vision to feel.

Ugh, you again.

As I shake my head and wave off my annoyance towards that voice in my head, Charlie sits down on the love seat we always occupy. I've no clue why we end up this way; its almost like second nature to go straight to this spot. It's like Sheldon Cooper and his spot in the couch of their apartment. Looking over at the menu board overhead, I purse my lips. I don't know what I want.

"Yes, you do," Charlie states abruptly, looking at the board himself.

Must've said that out loud then. "Uh-huh?" I reply, raising a brow at him. "And what would that be?"

"Let's see..." Charlie begins, crossing his arms while gazing at me. "It's cool, so you'd want something that'll warm you up. You're nervous but mellow, so something mild with flavoured syrup. And...you haven't eaten much, so I'm guessing you'd want one of those huge as muffins."

I sit quietly, dumbstruck at his response.

"I'll go with a hazelnut chai latte and, judging from the selection, that monster of a chocolate muffin," Charlie states finally, smiling at my shocked expression. "So, how'd I do?"

"Great. Spectacular, in fact," I answer with a gulp. "Guess I'm just that readable, huh?"

"Not really, I'm just observant," he says with a wink. I snort, noticing his cheeks stain pink.

I hold back my giggle. "Okay, let me guess what you're getting."

"Shoot."

I tapped my chin, racking my brain for the little things I've seen him do. So far, the only thing I'm sure of is his constant order: three mixed berry muffins. Two for him, one to secretly stow away. I know Charlie thinks I'm really ignorant, but I do notice. I know he takes it home, and later gives it to his beloved grandmother. Charlie adores her, and I've always known that he loved caring for her. A smile blooms on my face as I picture him in my head, knocking on the door with the muffin stored in a brown paper bag, looking nothing but excited. I can't blame the boy, though. Nana Fellows is among the sweetest of grandmas out there.

"Well," I pause, "you're gonna get three mixed berry muffins, but you'll only eat two. And then, you're going to hide the other one. You'll get an espresso--" I glance at the glass case, "--and then, you're gonna sit next to me; I - I'll lay my head on your shoulder and we'll talk about things that don't really make any sense."

Like the fact that I sort of like you.

I chuckle at the petty thought, as if I'd share that piece of vital information with him. No way in hell am I doing that.

Charlie abruptly clears his throat, grinning at me like a child who just won a medal. His eyes glow in a sort of cat-like yellow, but I ignore the almost magnetic pull they have on me. Calm yo self, Eli.

"Cappucino. I like cappucino better," he says, and then he stands to order our food. Of course, before he left, he patted me on the head as if I were a dog. Classic move.