My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 33

Chapter 33

'Cause if one day you wake up and find that you're missin' me,

And your heart starts to wonder where on this earth I could be,

Thinkin' maybe you'd come back here to the place that we'd meet,

Then you'll see me waiting for you on the corner of the street.

I silently hummed to The Man Who Can't Be Moved as it played on the radio. I kept trying to make my nerves disappear but to no avail. It was my first day at SCÖÖP and so far, it didn't seem too bad. It was busy, but not all the time; and for some reason, the atmosphere made me feel happy and relaxed. The Script's song still softly resounded in the background, while excited giggles and excessive noises erupted from the mini-playground that was established near the back f the shop.

I was working with a girl who was slightly older than me. Her name was Ollie, which I found amusing since mine's Eli. Ollie mostly stayed in the back, though (which is really frustrating for a trainee). She was soft-spoken and sort of anti-social too. And, it was because of those reasons that I couldn't make conversation with her. So, I just people-watched instead.

Drumming my fingers on the counter, I scanned the shop. There was a lot of kids and a few people who were my age. In one booth, there was a young boy that was completely engrossed with reading a picture book. His face was surprisingly clean, but his table had spilt chocolate milkshake on it. I averted my eyes from him, to a group of teens who seemed to be in distress. The group of three consisted of a beautiful girl with long, coppery tresses, and two handsome guys. One of them had dirty blonde locks and the other had chocolate brown hair. The blonde was ruggedly handsome and edgy, while the other was more clean-cut and...proper. I'd bet whatever money I have in my pocket that the two are both interested in the girl. Except, my way of thinking was cliché (because of my life), so I wasn't sure whether I trusted it or not. I mean, it's probably just a good friendship, like Harry, Ron and Hermione's. I looked away and shook my head.

When they left their table, I quickly came over to grab their milkshake glasses. Afterwards, I whipped out my trusty table-cleaning spray and cloth. I was in the middle of wiping the table when I heard someone tap me on the shoulder. I froze, but turned around to face the stranger. It was the girl, the one with the two hot guys.

"Hey, can I help you?" I asked, looking at her with a curious expression.

"Yeah, do you to know where this place is?"

The girl nervously showed me her DIY map and I tried to look for a very long time. Until finally, I found the spot. It was pretty much a spec, but I found it.

"Here," I said firmly. "You just need to use the path there and just follow it."

The girl hugged me suddenly and I tensed in surprise. "Thank you so much!"

"Not a problem, ma'am."

"I'm Laura, and you're...Elouise."

"Yep, that's what my name tag says," I replied in a chipper tone. And with that, she merely skipped away.

I stared after her, wondering if I'd ever see her again. I knew I wouldn't, but something told me her life was on a completely different track right now.

I swiped their table some more, thinking - no, hoping - this job's worthwhile.

I was starting to wonder if I even got it for the right reasons. I mean, did I even want this? What if it doesn't work out in the end?

"Eli, hurry up!" yelled Ollie from the counter.

It was the loudest voice I've heard from her. So, without another thought, I picked up my equipment and half-ran back to the counter.