My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 24

Chapter 24

What happens when you accidentally turn off your alarm and by the time your eyes decide to take a peak, you realize that you only have ten minutes before getting royally screwed? Chaos, that's what happens.

Scrambling like a headless chicken, I tried to do my morning routine as quickly as possible. Once I was done with my shower, the bathroom looked like it had a visit from a life-threatening tsunami. My clothes weren't exactly the kind I'd usually wear, but they were the first thing I saw in my closet. Grabbing my bag and slinging it on my shoulders, I made my way outside with a chocolate bar in between my teeth. Yeah, what a healthy way to start the day.

Since the bus arrived at the stop thirty minutes ago, I had no choice but to walk. It was a bit cooler now, but it didn't quite reach any extremes. I was wearing a collared blouse that was tucked into a black skirt. I had on a beanie, a coat, and a pair of stockings. Unfortunately, I was also wearing ankle boots with two-inch heels. My feet weren't made for that kind of torture. As I trudged along the sidewalk, I mentally cursed myself for being careless. I was mindlessly kicking a rock, until I felt something vibrating in my coat pocket. Someone was calling me.

"Hel-"

"Where the hell are you?!" It was Cindy, annoyed as ever.

"Aren't you supposed to be in class?"

"Aren't you?"

"Touché."

As I walked, she talked in a very rushed manner. She said I better be at school and I told her I was on my way. Of course, she guessed that I had a little problem with my alarm; which is why I sometimes prefered my mother over an alarm. She wouldn't stop until I'm up and fully awake. And exasperated, that too.

I tip-toed to my locker, looking over my shoulder far too many times than the average student. I probably seemed like a prisoner trying not to be seen. I was in front of my Math room in two minutes flat with sore feet and ankles. "Well, this is my own fault," I told myself as I twisted the knob quietly. When I thought it was going to be a success, it creaked as I attempted to slip through the small gap that I managed to create. I never should've trusted my luck in the first place.

"Thank you for joining us, Miss Walton," Ms Gilmore sneered. Her retro sunnies were perched above her head and they looked like the devil's horns. I tried not to laugh at how funny she kind of looked. "You should know by now that I don't tolerate tardiness."

I do. Now that I thought about it, I should've just skipped this period. "Sorry, Ma'am." I faced the floor as I sat on the only free seat. It was the one closest to her desk. Oh, boy.

A hand landed on my table. I jumped, not because it was so sudden; but because I saw the piece of paper on her hand. It was her detention slip. That was Ms Gilmore's weapon around here. She handed detentions more times than I trip over. Believe me, that is impressive. "Meet me here after your last class for the next three days."

"But I have tutoring sessions on two of those days!" I was already missing-in-action at yesterday's session. Missing on the other two? Well, let's just hope my grades don't take a head-first dive towards the fail mark.

Ms Gilmore smirked at me, her wickedness shining through like sunlight. Normally, she was sane. She was even nice to me because I'm not too bad at her subject. Being late just messed it all up. "Very well, I'll check with Mrs Hutchinson and have a word with you afterwards."

It was safe to say that I survived the last twenty minutes of Math. Though, the day dragged on slower than making molasses. People were looking at me funny, eyeing me like chewed gum that was stuck to a table. I was more wordless than someone who was trying to keep a secret for the rest of the day. Once the final bell rung and it was time to scurry on away from school, I found Cindy waiting for me outside by my locker, impatiently tapping her foot on the floor. Her eyes were fixated on me, so I grinned. It was pretty lopsided.