My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 36

Chapter 36

I remember reading an article about déjà vu, once. They say it doesn't even exist; that one part of your brain is just slower than the other. It explains that such a phenomena ultimately leads you to believe that what you had just experienced has happened to you before. (I personally call this is a déjà vu moment. None of this sophisticated business.) In reality, it's actually the first time you've been in that situation--you just don't think so.

My current predicament is not just my mind playing tricks on me. It is neither a figment of my imagination. I am actually in the same shoes as I was in, at the beginning of the school year. Cindy is next to me, ready to push me towards where I supposedly intend to go. I'm standing frozen in my spot, my social anxiety creeping up my spine. Charlie's sitting at a table, looking over at us like he's not quite sure what's about to take place (yet again). Drew is speaking to their mutual friends, and he doesn't have a clue what's coming his way. (Just like the first time, except that attempt will remain a fail.) The only difference this time, is Zeke. He's smiling at me, knowingly at that. He knows, just like Cindy and myself.

From beside me, I heard my best friend laughing. "God, am I gonna be your personal motivator for the rest of our lives?" she asked as we glanced at the guys subtly from the other side of the courts.

"I'd like to think we're still as close as this in the future," I quietly murmured with a small smile.

"I don't mind pushing you anyway," she said. "I mean, if I'm lucky, you'll trip over too."

I hit her arm and sent her a pointed look.

"Go on, Eli. No one's stopping you."

"But--"

"You're procrastinating."

I sighed and stared at my feet. "I know."

Walking away from her, I cautiously made my way to the table, a huge possibility that I could be humiliated hanging over my head like a freakin' head decapitator. Nevertheless, I scurried away like a mouse trying to blend and melt in the backround. Part of me wanted to be swallowed by all the noise. The only problem with that was, if I did do it, I might never speak up for the rest of the day. So, instead of hiding, I left it all up to fate. If such a thing existed.

Charlie watched me carefully as I came over and greeted them with all the neccessities. Per usual, Zeke moved enough for me to have room. Except, I refused to sit down altogether. I didn't want a repeat of the past; I wanted to rewrite this. I didn't want to keep thinking of all those "what if's" that plague my consciousness before I fall asleep.

"Hey, Drew?" I asked and his eyes flickered to mine. They were like fluorescent lights today, far brighter than I'd ever seen them before. Maybe it's because of the cold? "Could I talk to you for a few minutes? In private, please."

He nodded, but said nothing. When we were out of earshot, I shook my head in exasperation. There was no going back now. "I'm part of the pageant," I started slowly, my statement sounding more like a doubtful query.

He grinned and told me, "I already know this, Elouise."

I blushed. "Yes, but you may not know about the presentation. The dance..."

His eyes scrutinized me, as I studied their blueness. Before I knew it, he'd pieced all the details together. "Oh, I know!" he exclaimed with a wide smile. "Anna mentioned something about that, a while ago."

Oh, great. Of course, she has a damn proxy too!

"Anna?" I mumbled softly.

"Yeah," he paused, "redhead, pale, part of the dance club, same year as us?"