My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 39

Chapter 39

I woke up to the sound of even breathing, and the feel of the rise and fall of a hard chest. My first instinct was to bolt, then to snuggle. Don't ask me why, because I wasn't quite sure either (I blame the sleepy head me). I mean, you have to admit, you'd do the same if it was warm and super comfortable. Then, I realised it was morning again, and that Charlie proposed that we go do something.

I hope you're happy, his words ring in my ears like a broken record. I didn't even know what he meant by it. Was he asking it in general, or was he asking about a certain part of my life? I always knew he was cryptic, but I think it just got worse over time.

Peeking open one eye, I glanced at Charlie's face. It was resting on one side, the one facing me. His warm breath was fanning my forehead, and somehow, I didn't feel the urge to move away. The little slithers of light highlighted the highest points of his face, which I found odd. On a scale of one to ten, when do you ever get a perfect highlight from natural light without manouvring your body? If it was me, I was sure the sun would just hit my eyes. Sighing, I stopped myself from pulling back my arm that was draped across his abdomen. The pillow barrier was kind of squished between his side and my stomach. In truth, Charlie looked angelic. But only when he's asleep. Like now and only now.

At this point, both my blue eyes were open and I was staring at his face subconsciously as I argued with my brain. Then slowly, a smirk made its way to his lips. With his eyes closed, he arrogantly muttered, "You like my face." It wasn't even a question, just a cocky statement.

I slapped his chest hard, annoyed. "You don't get a say in that, you moron," I grumbled, turning away. "You have to leave now, too," I added without looking back at him.

"Why?"

Seconds later, I couldn't feel the pillow barrier anymore, and Charlie hugged me from behind, with his arms snaked around my waist as if they belonged there.

"Don't you want me here?" he asked, his chin resting on my shoulder.

I was shell-shocked and frozen in place, to put it mildly. He was acting like we were something...more. Charlie and I, we'd never been this close and personal. Stuff like that wasn't our thing and something tells me I should run away this instant. And yet, I didn't.

"I, uh, you--my parents are home," I stuttered and he chuckled. I could feel the vibration of his chest and the quick beat of his heart. It felt comforting.

"So you'd let me stay if it weren't for your parents?" I could practically see his cheeky smile without even looking.

"No, Charlie. I'm saying that because of--" I paused, contemplating if I should continue or not. But then I thought, why not? "Because of Penny. And Drew. I know you have feelings for her and you know how I feel about...you know, Drew."

I spun around, backing away from him. Except, Charlie didn't let go, he simply loosened his hold on me. He just stared at me; like really stared at me. It felt as if he was seeing me for the very first time. It scared me, the way he was searching my face. It almost seemed like he was trying to memorise it. I could tell he couldn't pinpoint what he was looking for. You know, the only difference of this time from any other instant, is that I wasn't gonna assume anything. I wanted to be done with that for good.

"Okay," he replied quietly.

"Okay?" I repeated, slightly confused.

Charlie nodded, gradually releasing me. "If that's what you want," he shrugged.

I glanced away from his bright amber lenses; they made me feel bad. This moment, it felt more than just what we were saying. There was something deeper about this conversation. Somehow, I knew, this was gonna change everything...again.