My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 9

Chapter 9

Gone is the protective vibe that Charlie so proudly displayed.

The drive home was deafening as it is. Literally. Cindy was on a roll, scowling and lecturing his brother the whole time. I didn't bother pointing out that she was technically doing something bad too, because she's still considered drunk and she's driving. Nevertheless, I kept to myself, wondering about what could have happened; the usual what ifs.

Drew would have kissed me, right? Okay, maybe not. I knew that one was a bit too ambitious. Stupid Penny and her perfect timing. My mind wanders off to the reason why Penny interrupted our moment...

Charlie is a handful and I couldn't agree more. Sometimes he sends me these mixed signals but I try not to analyse them. After all, he's only really helping me with my so-called "boy problems" because I bribed him. I told him I would be his wingman and I plan on doing exactly that. They dropped me off at my house without a goodbye.

Geez, is Cindy really that mad? I thought as I slowly crept up the stairs. There is no need to wake up my parents. Once I was snug in bed, I let my lids close. In my head, I'm plotting - scheming - how to get Charlie and Penelope together. My face subconsciously sours at the idea.

Maybe I'll send them on a trip to paradise? Well, that's only if I had money of course.

I scratched the thought away and formulate a new idea.

A ski trip? No, Penny hates snow.

A shopping trip? No, Charlie hates shopping.

I sighed, growing sleepier by the second. And just as I was about to board the plane to Dreamland, someone knocks at my balcony door. I groaned but opened my eyes anyway.

It was Charlie - bruises and all.

In a way, I sort of expected it to be him. I mean come on, it's past twelve midnight. I'm sure Cindy's sleeping like she has a coma and Drew? He's probably doing the same, only he's more adorable.

I push the covers, groggily trying to open the door in a quiet manner. He better have a good reason for this. He's wasting my precious sleeping time. When Charlie finally gets his butt in my room I snuggled in bed and faced him.

"What?" I hissed, but it came out weaker.

He plopped down on the beanbag and I saw him run a hand through his dark hair. I couldn't tell if he winced or not when his hand accidentally brushed past his cut, right above his brow. He looked like he was in pain. He should be. He probably is.

"My bed was uncomfortable," was all he said. No elaborating whatsoever; that was it. I nodded and twisted around, scooting as close to the wall as possible. I don't know why, but the wall felt like my comfort zone during the night.

"And you thought my beanbag was much more up to par?" I kid, laughing quietly as he rolled his golden eyes. They seemed like they were glowing in this dark bedroom.

Unexpectedly, Charlie took my scooting and joke as a sort of message. He, most likely, thought the gestures meant, "Okay then, you can sleep next to me."

The bed dipped down a little bit, making me scoot impossibly closer to the wall. His firm shoulder was touching my back and I felt really conscious about what I was wearing.

Why did I wear short shorts and an oversized shirt? I could've worn them another night, but no, I had to wear them tonight.

"Chill, I'm not going to harass you, Walton," he said, chuckling at me. Ah, Charlie and his way with words.

I grunted and the next thing I know, Charlie put a pillow barrier between us. I twisted around once more and smiled at him. It was thoughtful of him to do that. "Thanks," I mumbled looking him in the eye. I can see an outline of his smile in the darkness. The moonlight blesses his features with a light blue hue.

"It wasn't for you. It was for me, actually. I'm not too keen on getting your cooties all over me." I rolled my eyes at that. Trust Charlie to use such a childish word in this ungodly hour.

The next morning, there was no pillow barrier anymore. Now, there was no space at all. My back was pressed against his chest. His warm strong arms were wrapped around my waist as if they belonged there. As comfortable as this is, I wanted to pull away. If someone sees us in this compromising position, I wouldn't be able to live it down.

"Charlie..." I whispered softly. He didn't say anything, nor did he move. I started to move further, but it was hard, he had me caged. So, I jabbed my elbow in his ribs.

"Ow," he groaned but he still didn't let go.

"Let go, damn it." My patience was running low, so this time I jabbed much, much harder. He cursed under his breath and released me. That'll teach him.

I had the perfect plan for their date and I was ready to put it fort. I ate my breakfast, showered, and all that good stuff. It was quite late and my parents weren't around. Penny's probably out with that Ryan person. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and I scurry off to the kitchen. I found Charlie searching the fridge, shirtless. My mind went a bit blank.

Focus, Eli. Focus.

"I got a proposition for yah," I chirped.

"Oh yeah, and what's that?" he replied, raising an eyebrow at me.

"You, my dear friend, have a date."

"Oh, so Penelope said yes already?" He sounded like he knew the answer.

"No, but she will!"

"What's the plan, boss?"

I told him about my genius and as I went into detail, that doubtful and sarcastic look on his face disintegrated. It went from ridiculously annoyed to amused to nervous. It was quite funny actually.

Wait, what? Nervous? Charlie Fellows is nervous?

A smirk made its way to my lips and I tried hard not to appear too proud of myself.

"So you're telling me that..."

I nodded fervently. "Yes, Charlie. I plan on doing exactly that."

* * * * *

Sup, dude?

Charlie and the song What To Do by Demi Lovato are on the side. ;)

I hope you liked this chapter! Show some support! (Y)

Please vote, comment, and shareeeeeee.

Okay, bye bye.

J~