My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 38

Chapter 38

One must learn to crawl, in order to run...

I've heard that saying before. I should've followed it, though. Right now, I felt like I was running with wolves and I couldn't keep up. I seriously underestimated Zeke's manipulative capabilities. Where was this half-real surge of courage coming from anyway? Maybe it was because of Matchbox 20 or my straightened hair, but whatever it was, I didn't want it anymore. Courage made me do scary things, and that wasn't a good thing when you've lived a cowardly life for long enough.

That was me, I guess. I always hid and cowered away like a fool. It didn't matter what it was; whether it was because of what I've done or something that I felt, I stashed it and buried it deep so no one could find it. Sometimes, not even myself. If anything, I think a part of me wants to keep it that way.

Grudgingly, I went ahead and approached Charlie. About halfway there, he noticed me and he raised a brow. I raised one back, just because I can. When I finally stood in front of him, I took a moment to collect myself. I wasn't all there on the inside; I was scrambled (if that made sense).

"What are you doing?" Charlie immediately asked, his bright eyes searching my face suspiciously.

I scrunched my face mockingly. "Hello to you too, Charlie," I said sarcastically, feigning hurt.

"What, can't find Drew?"

I shook my head nervously at him. "No, but, uh-"

"Oh, so you want me to fetch him for you?" he asked again, more irritated this time. Oddly, Charlie started straightening up and emphasising his height. It didn't help that I wanted to shrink.

"No, I was go-"

"Then what's the matter?"

I stomped my foot on the ground, frustrated as hell. With the music and the noise, I highly doubt anyone heard. "If you just let me finish, you'd know! Man, you have got to stop cutting people's sentences off," I complained with raised arms. He just watched me in amusement, and nodded. So, I continued. "Anyway, did you want to...dance?"

Charlie looked appalled, his golden eyes wide like saucers. For a few seconds, he just kept quiet. His expression went from surprised to a pointed look, and now, to a confused one. It was a daunting task, waiting for his response. As you may or may not have already guessed, I wasn't a big fan of rejection.

"Is this a trick question?"

"No, now come on before the song ends," I told him with a heavy sigh. Grabbing hold of his arm, I tugged him along through the sea of drunken teens. Not that he complained much. The boy didn't even put up a damn fight.

Copying the others, I slowly laced my fingers together behind his neck. I reached it a bit more than usual, thanks to the heels. I mean, I didn't do this all the time; I was just-

Yep, okay I'll stop.

Unsure, Charlie hesitantly wrapped his arms around my waist. From the corner of my eye, I saw Zeke with a self-righteous smirk dancing on his lips. I averted my gaze from him and, somehow, it made its way to Charlie's. As the music droned on and the couples started making out, we just swayed from side to side in silence. Our eyes were locked and nothing seemed to break it. Even when the song changed, I, nor he, looked away. Everything felt calm and...it was a strange feeling. The Elouise and Charlie that I knew never had calm, only crazy and mishap. We were always bickering, not silent.

It was like we didn't want to let go. It wasn't something that I'd approve of, either. Moving out of his reach, I shook my head with an almost bitter laugh. I could hear Zeke and I's conversation repeating in my head. But, what if I didn't want anything to change? We were in a good place, Charlie and I. Nothing needed to be different.