My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 37

Chapter 37

"Hey! Watch your feet!" said Ms Queen to one of the escorts.

"You must lead. C'mon, man up!" she told the other.

The woman was targeting us like prey. One by one, she singled a poor soul out and shot him or her out. It was like she wanted us all to drop like a heap of flies on the floor. Surely, her embarrassing comment for me was inevitable. I didn't have much time to prepare myself, though. She was click-clacking along with her dance shoes in front of me by the time we did the little twirl. I could actually feel her stare, like no joke. I swear it was almost solid!

Eventually, she cleared her throat enough to get my and Drew's attentions. (I had a sneaking suspicion that Brower taught her that.) "Darling, your arms are too floppy. Yes, quite flimsy," she sighed and fixed the position of my upper limbs. "Miss Walton, you're supposed to look like a strong, confident, young woman!"

Geez, talk about perfectionism.

Elouise..?

What?

I don't think that's a word.

Whatever.

However ready I was, I didn't respond in the way that I wanted to. I still flinched at her words, and in the process, accidentally stepping on Drew too. He winced, but smiled whilst he reassured me not to worry. He was an incredibly sweet boy, though, so I wasn't too shell-shocked. I also sense: that Ms Queen was not enjoying the trouble that I've caused her since the beginning of the official rehearsals. I mean, I'll get better at this soon enough. Seriously, I knew about her dream to be recognized for her excellent choreography. But, let's be real: she ain't gettin' noticed because I successfully made my arms look less flimsy.

Now, that's just plain mean.

"Is she Hitler's reincatnate or what?" a voice mumbled from behind me.

Cautiously, I averted my eyes to my feet and Drew's. I could see my tan, fringed ankle boots. Drew was wearing patent lamper Doc Martens. As I observed our footwear, I realised that I haven't actually looked up yet. So, I did.

"God, I hope not," Drew added lowly, so as to not let anyone else hear. "I'd rather a happy-go-lucky assasin."

I laughed and we both got back in our dancing stance. When the beat was right, we began once more. All the while, Ms Queen continued her dictatorship. Nothing like counting to eight and then again, but backwards, to get you in the mood. Yeah, well, just note the sarcasm.

~

There was nothing like free period, don't you think?

I called it a small miracle within one's own prison. Sure, you remained in the same hell-hole, but freedom was freedom and nothing would ever change that. At the end of the day, I would always choose it over a lecture.

Now...if only it was just free period and not Friday night partying with your hormonal schoolmates. When was it that I last did this anyway? Oh wait, it was that night; drinking game gone wrong night. A miniscule smile crept up my lips as Cindy straightened my crazy, Merida-like, brown hair. Anything that reminded me of the start of Zeke and I's friendship always put me in a happy mood. I suppose it wasn't an intentional thing. It was all-natural, like my mother's new cooking regimé. And, of course, nothing went unnoticed by my best friend. The simple movement made her grey eyes flicker to mine. The way she stared intimidated me, despite how long we'd been friends. There was something so deep about it. It was even hypnotic in a way.

Like Charlie's, I added in my head absent-mindedly.

"What's on your mind, El?" she asked, tilting her head to the side.