[One-Shot #23 Hitch] Don't Pity Me

Requested: SimpleTimes1

Warning: Angst Themes

Words: 582

---

You train beside her. You do what she does, but the outcome isn't the same. She was a prodigy in some way, you were just mediocre, a person that would soon die by mistakes. Knowing she was the top, far beyond your ranking, you were proud.

But during the ceremony, the moment she didn't step, the moment they said the word police, she stood by your side. Some would say that it was romantic, you only thought it was stupid, and all she was doing was piting you. She trained you, helped you, but nothing worked. She would reassure you she was doing this because she wanted to help. But nowadays it seemed you were just getting special treatment, from your girlfriend no less.

You hand turned white, nails digging into your palm as your mind went blank. Everything around you blurred, your teeth crushing each other. Your eyes hardened, but to everyone around you, they only saw you composed and silent.

After, Hitch came up to you, a giant smile on her face. "Y/N!" You turned to her with the opposite, a frown, an action louder than words. She knew the tension was high, she didn't know why, and you knew she was clueless. You looked away and continued walking, knowing any word would burst in rage, a blind one.

"Y/N?" She called to you, turning you by your shoulder. She saw the tears running down your face. "What?"

"Can you, for once, stop looking at me like I'm pathetic?" You voice was quiet, breathless and cold. She backed away, physically flinched at your distraught. "I would never." She said, coming back to reality.

"Then why didn't you go for it! Why did you stay still?! Why did you just stay by my side?!" You yelled, rubbing your tears. "I don't need you to stay with me, to babysit me!"

"I--"

"Shut up, Hitch." You scuffed. "I'm grateful for your help during the early days, but now, I don't need you to pity me all the time. I don't need you to freak out when I fall, when someone yells at me!"

She kept herself composed.

"I don't need a girlfriend who sees me as a little kid." You turned away.

"Y/N--"

"Leave me alone, Hitch. It's time to go our separate ways."

Hitch groaned. She knew what you said was true, she was just frustrated that she wasn't able to get a word in-- not like that'd do anything.

---

She doesn't know long it has been since the fight, but she joins the Police. Some days, she zones out, thinking about where you were. She stands alone, and for a second something catched her eye. She turned her head in instinct to see you with a Garrison symbol of your back.

She smiled, but she didn't say anything. It was nice to see you from afar, but the chances of the two of you interacting was slim to none. But at least you weren't dead. She laughed. She won't get a happy ending with you, but it doesn't matter, as long as you were alive.

As she watched you, you looked at her. The brief eye contact made her flustered. It felt as if she was a kid with a crush again. You looked at her with no emotion, she thought you were about to mouth something before someone caught your attention.

She sighed. "I was wrong to pity you."