25. Trouble

Dedicating this chapter to Lujoca for the sweet cover on the side. I love the tag line used in this. :) <3 Love is you and me... what we have. <3

****************

CHAPTER - 25

LOVE IS... TROUBLE

“This is love, and the trouble with it: it can make you embarrassed. Love is really liking someone a whole lot and not wanting to screw that up. Everybody's chewed this over. This unites us, this part of love.” - Daniel Handler

After staring at Ashton, for what seemed like some hours but were probably a few minutes, I established the fact that I was a terrible drunk. Oh, and a shamelessly horny one. In short - a terribly shameless horny one!

How in the world could I forget him especially after the one of a kind encounter we had had four months back? How could I not remember the only random stranger I had ever made out with; a very hot stranger at that? How was it possible for me to not recall the one person who had succeeded in making me a non-believer of love, especially after he had been in front of my eyes since last ten days? I was quick to blame it on the strong, cheap liquors I had consumed that night.

Ashton, unlike of his normal behavior, patiently waited for me to say something; for me to give any kind of reaction. He was staring at me with those unnerving, gorgeous eyes. And I realized why his eyes had always looked familiar to me. Even in my wasted state, I had told him that his eyes were beautiful.

Idiot! I was an idiotic drunk as well.

He raised an eyebrow at me, probing to me to say something. And I did. "We should get going." His eyes widened at the most unexpected words that came out of my mouth. But he was quick to narrow them at me. I looked at him with wide eyed innocence and told him, "We're getting late. I don't like to be late."

I didn't wait for him to react as I walked towards the passenger door of his car, opened it and settled down. My unexpected reactions probably confused Ashton as he took about a minute to enter his car, and I utilized those sixty seconds to calm my racing heart a bit. I gasped in need of some air and ran my hand over my face, probably spoiling a bit of my make up in the process. I tried to appear as nonchalant as I could with him sitting merely inches away from me. The 'no music' environment in the limited area of his car was not helping the uncomfortable silence that had settled between us.

That dreadful silence made me recall everything that had happened that night, once again. I was pretty sure that I was hallucinating. No, not pretty. I was definitely hallucinating. If that guy was Ashton then why didn't he ever mention that night to me? Maybe he himself didn't remember me. I mean, I was quite a mess that night with my puffy eyes, dark circles, running nose, slurred out words, the uncommon swearing that was not uncommon that night, and my 'not so uptight' personality.

But who was I trying to fool with this thought because I could clearly see in his eyes that he remembered me. He was waiting for me to say something, to react or maybe to snap at him for making me look like a fool, because I was the one who had been fooled in this entire ordeal.

Just as I thought of putting my thoughts in form of some bitter words, I remembered the kiss... the kisses that we had shared that night; the kisses that I had kick-started shamelessly and he had shown no qualms in following.

'Oh my God! I had kissed Ashton! And we almost had sex.'

With that thought, I welcomed all of the great Avengers to create havoc in the pit of my stomach. It was anything but fun. I was not sure what the reason of my disappointment was - the fact that I couldn't remember that night until now or the fact that there was presence of the word 'almost' right before 'sex'.