6. Unbearable

CHAPTER - 6 (Not proofread, bear the mistakes)

LOVE IS... UNBEARABLE

"Love is the longing for the half of ourselves, we have lost."  

Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

I was saved.

Saved from Ashton's scrutinizing gaze and any further questions that could bring all my lies out in the open.

Saved by the bell.

Literally.

"Who is it now?" Ashton groaned as he threw his head back in irritation.

This little action made me conclude that either he, in general, hated answering doors or he was rather very lazy.

The bell rang again and I stared from Ashton to the door and again towards Ashton, who didn't look like he was going to move even an inch in the coming decade.

"Don't be a f*cktard, man. Move your lazy a*s." The person who was banging the door loudly shouted from the other side, and after a moment of short lived surprise, I pressed my lips together to stop the little smile that was threatening to grace my lips. Ashton looked quite irritated and honestly, I loved seeing him like that. It felt like a very little payback of my own even though I had nothing to do in that ordeal, other than enjoying it.

"Umm... who is it? Bank troubles? A dacoit? Terrorist? Your partner in all your crimes? Or partner of your life?" I asked with mild interest towards the guy who was shouting profanities from the other side.

All I got in response was a dead serious and irritated look. And truth be told, it added heaps to my enjoyment.

The banging on the door just became louder with each passing second, but Ashton just rolled his eyes and rested deeper in his couch. I empathized with the guy on the other side. I really did. He was the male version of me of a few hours back, except for his loud cursing. Noticing Aston's complete ignorance towards his guest and the factor being the empathy I felt towards the guy, I decided to take matters in my own hands by welcoming the person inside.

I got up from my seat and started walking towards the door. "Where do you think you're going?"

Rolling my eyes and without turning back, I answered the devil, "Narnia." He didn't say anything back and I turned around to ask him, "So, is it your ritual or something to open the door and then shut the door in your guest's face? Oh, and am I supposed to follow this too?"

His lips twitched up ever so slightly, but he narrowed his eyes at me, as if challenging me. "I would like to see you do that."

A scowl covered my face at his challenge. How was it possible for him to read me so clearly in such a short span of time? Was it so easy to tell that being rude was not something I could do to anyone, at least not to someone who had not done any harm to me or my near and dear ones?

The loud banging on the door saved Ashton from my deadly gaze and the person again shouted, "Don't make me adopt extreme measures, Ashton."

My head snapped towards the door at the warning. Extreme measures definitely implied breaking the door. I looked back towards Ashton, who still looked like he didn't give a damn about anything that was happening around him.

Startled by the sudden silence from the other end of the door, I took steps towards it and stretched my hand to hold the door knob. But I didn't have to do any further hard work as my outstretched arm remained outstretched as the door suddenly opened in my face, injuring my nose in the process.