PREFACE

THE FIELD LAY BENEATH A BLANKET OF PURE white, a canvas of snow that stretched out as far as the eye could see. We stood motionless, our eyes fixed on the horizon, waiting for the arrival of our accusers. We were here to bear witness, to defend those who had been accused of the impossible.

The air was thick with tension, a palpable sense of unease that hung heavy around us. We were here to prove their innocence, to show the Volturi that they had been wrong. But we knew that the odds were stacked against us.

As we stood there, our breaths forming clouds in the frigid air, a dark mist began to creep towards us. It moved with a grace and elegance that belied its sinister nature, gliding effortlessly through the snow.

We knew that the Volturi had already passed judgement on our friends, that they had condemned us to death before the trial had even begun. They cared nothing for justice, nothing for our safety. All they wanted was power and control.

But we were not afraid. We knew that if we had to die for our freedom, then it was a sacrifice worth making. And so we stood there, resolute and unyielding, ready to face whatever lay ahead.

And then, in the distance, we heard the faint sound of footsteps. "The redcoats are coming," Garrett muttered to himself. "The redcoats are coming."

We braced ourselves for what was to come, knowing that our fate was inextricably tied to that of our friends and family.