24. WE WILL FIGHT

AS WE STEPPED OUT OF THE BUILDING, THE RAIN had ceased its relentless downpour. But as the droplets dripped from the leaves and branches, a realisation hit me like a bolt of lightning. Renesmee had a future, but her parents, Edward and Bella, would not be a part of it. Jacob and I would have to protect her if a conflict arose. If it arose, that is. We picked up the couple from Charlie's and made our way back to the Cullens.

As we pulled into the meadow, the house appeared ordinary from the outside. But the commotion inside was anything but. Low voices growled and murmured, creating an intense argument. I could distinguish Dad's and Carlisle's voices, along with Amun's, among the others.

Edward parked in front of the house instead of the garage, and Bella exchanged a wary glance with me. Jacob's demeanour shifted, his face turning serious and cautious. Something had happened, and he was determined to gather the information he and Sam needed.

"Alistair is gone," Edward murmured.

"What do you mean he's gone?" I exclaimed, darting up the steps.

As I stepped into the front room, the tension was palpable. The air was thick with the scent of fear and anger, and I could feel my heart racing in my chest. The walls were lined with a ring of spectators, every vampire who had joined us, except for Alistair and the four involved in the quarrel. Mum, Esme, Kebi, and Tia were the closest to the four vampires in the center; in the middle of the room, Amun was hissing at Dad, Carlisle, and Benjamin.

Edward's jaw tightened, and he moved quickly to Esme's side, his eyes never leaving the scene unfolding before us. I raced to Mum, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Amun, if you want to go, no one is forcing you to stay," Carlisle said calmly, his voice cutting through the tension like a knife.

"You're stealing half my coven, Carlisle!" Amun shrieked, his eyes blazing with fury as he stabbed one finger at Benjamin. "Is that why you called me here? To steal from me?"

"He would never do that," Dad said, his voice firm and unwavering. Amun snarled at him, his eyes flashing with anger.

Carlisle sighed, and Benjamin rolled his eyes, clearly exasperated by the whole situation.

"Yes, Carlisle picked a fight with the Volturi, endangered his whole family, just to lure me here to my death," Benjamin said sarcastically, his voice dripping with disdain. "Be reasonable, Amun. I'm committed to do the right thing here—I'm not joining any other coven. You can do whatever you want, of course, as Carlisle has pointed out."

"This won't end well," Amun growled, his eyes darting around the room as if searching for an escape.

"Think of who you're calling sane," I heard Tia murmuring in a quiet aside, her voice barely audible above the rising tension.

"We're all going to be slaughtered!" Amun cried, his voice rising to a fever pitch.

"It's not going to come to a fight," Carlisle said in a firm voice, his eyes locked on Amun's.

"You say!" Amun spat, his eyes blazing with fury.

"If it does, you can always switch sides, Amun," Dad commented, his voice calm and measured. "I'm sure the Volturi will appreciate your help."

Amun sneered at him, his eyes flashing with anger. "Perhaps that is the answer," he said, his voice dripping with venom.

Carlisle's answer was soft and sincere. "I wouldn't hold that against you, Amun. We have been friends for a long time, but I would never ask you to die for me."

Amun's voice was more controlled, too. "But you're taking my Benjamin down with you."

Carlisle put his hand on Amun's shoulder; Amun shook it off.