22. SEATTLE

THE ROADS WERE SLICK AND DARK, a perfect backdrop for Bella's newfound fearlessness behind the wheel. Her reflexes were razor-sharp, and she navigated the treacherous terrain with ease. The only challenge was keeping our speed in check, lest we draw unwanted attention to ourselves. We were on a mission, after all, and we couldn't afford any distractions. We needed to solve the mystery at hand so we could get back to the business of learning. Learning to protect some, learning to kill others.

Bella had been honing her skills under the tutelage of Kate and Zafrina, and her progress was nothing short of remarkable. Kate had stepped back, content to let Zafrina take the reins, and Bella had risen to the challenge with aplomb.

As we made our way through the city, I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. I found myself visiting Evelyn's grave more often than usual, even though I was no longer human. I had managed to find the perfect gift for Ayla's Christmas present, but my mind was preoccupied with the looming threat that was only two weeks away.

Seattle was a familiar place, but not a pleasant one. The Cullens' cars stood out like sore thumbs on the dilapidated streets, surrounded by crumbling buildings and faded paint. The area was a mishmash of old houses converted into apartments, with a few businesses scattered here and there. A dingy bar with blacked-out windows, a psychic's supply store with neon hands and tarot cards flickering in the darkness, a tattoo parlour, and a daycare with a broken window held together by duct tape. It was a far cry from the pristine world we were used to, but we had a job to do, and we were determined to see it through.

The rain poured down in sheets, drenching the few people who dared to brave the weather. Two figures shuffled through the downpour in opposite directions, their heads bowed against the deluge. A lone figure sat on the shallow porch of a boarded-up cut-rate law office, reading a wet newspaper and whistling a tune that was much too cheerful for the dismal setting. The sound echoed through the empty street, a stark contrast to the dreary atmosphere. The dilapidated building had no numbers, but the tattoo parlour beside it was just two numbers off, a beacon of colour in the grey surroundings.

Bella pulled up to the curb, her car idling for a moment as we surveyed the scene. We needed to get into that dump, but the whistler on the porch made me nervous. He could be a witness, and we didn't need any more attention. Bella could park on the next street over and come through the back, but there might be more people to avoid on that side.

"Hey, ladies," the whistler called out to us.

Bella rolled down the passenger window, pretending not to hear him. The man laid his paper aside, revealing his clothes that were surprisingly well-dressed under his ragged duster. His dark red shirt looked like silk, and his crinkly black hair was wild and tangled. His dark skin was smooth and perfect, a contradiction to his unkempt appearance. His white, straight teeth gleamed in the rain.

"Maybe you shouldn't park that car there, lady," he warned. "It might not be here when you get back."

"Thanks for the heads up," Bella replied.

She turned off the engine, and we stepped out of the car. Perhaps the whistling man could give us the answers we needed faster than breaking in. Bella opened the big grey umbrella, shielding us from the rain. The man squinted through the downpour at our faces, then his eyes widened. He swallowed, and I could hear his heart racing as we approached.

"We're looking for someone," Bella began.

"I'm someone," he replied with a smile. "What can I do for you, beautiful?"

"You're J. Jenks?" I asked.

"Oh," he said, and his expression changed from anticipation to understanding. He got to his feet and examined us with narrowed eyes. "Why're you two ladies looking for J?"