33. JUST IN TIME

THE NAME ECHOED THROUGH THE AIR LIKE a desperate plea, a frantic call for a missing soul. "Alice! Alice! Where the hell was Alice?!" The words played heavy in my head during the tense atmosphere, a chorus of worried voices murmuring the same question.

And then, a single voice cut through the chaos. "Alice," Aro breathed, his tone a mixture of relief and disbelief.

I turned to face him, my own emotions a jumbled mess. Relief flooded through me at the sight of Alice, safe and sound. But anger simmered just beneath the surface, a fiery reminder of the fear and uncertainty that had plagued us all in her absence.

I didn't know what to expect as Alice approached us, her expression unreadable. But as she drew closer, I felt a sense of calm wash over me. We would deal with the fallout of her disappearance later. For now, all that mattered was that she was back.

The forest was alive with the sound of pounding footsteps, a symphony of movement that echoed through the trees. It was as if the very earth was trembling beneath their feet, urging them forward with a fierce urgency. The air was thick with anticipation, both sides poised for the inevitable clash.

The Volturi witnesses scowled in confusion, their eyes darting back and forth as they tried to make sense of the chaos unfolding before them. And then, like a bolt of lightning, Alice danced into the clearing from the southwest, her lithe form moving with a grace that defied description. Jasper was only inches behind her, his sharp eyes scanning the area for any sign of danger.

But it was the three strangers who captured everyone's attention. The first was a tall, muscular female with wild dark hair, her elongated limbs and features marking her as one of the Amazons. Kachiri, I learned later. Her eyes blazed with a fierce intensity, her every movement radiating power and strength.

The second was a small olive-toned female vampire, her long braid of black hair bobbing against her back as she nervously scanned the confrontation before her. Her deep burgundy eyes flickered with uncertainty, as if she was unsure of her place in this battle.

And then there was the young man, his skin an impossibly rich, dark brown that seemed to glow in the dappled sunlight. His wary eyes flashed across the gathering, the warm teak color drawing everyone's attention. His hair was black and braided, like the woman's, though not as long. He was beautiful, in a way that took your breath away.

As he neared us, a new sound sent shock waves through the watching crowd—the sound of another heartbeat, accelerated with exertion. It was like Renesmee's, and suddenly everything fell into place. The battle lines were drawn, and there was no turning back.

Alice danced gracefully through the dissipating mist, her lithe form coming to a sinuous stop at Edward's side. Bella reached out to touch her arm, and the rest of the Cullen clan followed suit, their welcoming gestures hurried and brief. There was no time for pleasantries, not with the looming threat of the Volturi's attack.

Jasper and the others trailed behind Alice, their eyes flickering with speculation as they crossed the invisible border without difficulty. Felix and his ilk watched with sudden hope, their eyes fixed on Bella. They had been unsure of what her shield could repel, but it was now clear that it would not stop a physical attack.

As Aro prepared to give the order for the blitz, I couldn't help but wonder how many of the Volturi's soldiers Zafrina would be able to blind. Would it be enough to slow them down, to give Kate and Vladimir the chance to take out Jane and Alec? It was all I could hope for.

Edward, his focus on the coup he was directing, stiffened in response to their thoughts. He fought to control his fury and spoke to Aro once more.

"Alice has been searching for her witnesses these last weeks," he said to the ancient. "And she does not come back empty-handed. Alice, why don't you introduce the witnesses you've brought?"