21. A FEW ERRANDS

THE NEXT DAY AFTER, BELLA SUMMONED ME TO accompany her on an errand while Jacob and Renesmee made their way to Charlie's humble abode. I was clueless as to what the task entailed, but I knew it was of utmost importance to Bella. Whether it was a joyous or sorrowful affair, she needed me by her side.

As we made our way to the car, I observed Renesmee's excitement as she eagerly awaited Jacob's arrival. She was adorned in a brown coat, grey leggings, and brown boots, looking like a miniature fashionista. I sat at the back with her while Bella hopped into Edward's Volvo.

"Hey, Ness," I greeted her, causing her to turn her small head towards me. "Are you excited to see your grandpa?"

She nodded and placed her hand on my cheek, a gesture she often used to communicate with others.

"Where are you and Momma going?" she inquired in my mind.

I shrugged my shoulders, and Renesmee removed her hand. "I don't know," I replied. "Perhaps it's a surprise."

"Why can't we take your Ferrari?" Jacob grumbled as he joined us in the garage.

"Too conspicuous," Bella retorted. "We could walk, but that would alarm Charlie."

"She has a point," I concurred.

Jacob grumbled some more but eventually settled into the front seat, with Renesmee clambering onto his lap.

"How are you?" Bella inquired as she gracefully manoeuvred her car out of the garage.

"What do you think?" Jacob retorted, his tone laced with bitterness. "I'm sick and tired of these putrid bloodsuckers." He caught our disapproving glances and spoke before we could interject. "I know, I know. They're the supposed good guys, here to lend a helping hand and save us all. Blah, blah, blah. But let's be real, Dracula One and Dracula Two are beyond creepy."

Bella and I exchanged amused grins at his remark. The Romanian coven had never been my cup of tea, especially after what they had done to my father and Joseph.

"I couldn't agree more," Bella chimed in.

"I'll drink to that," I added with a smirk.

Renesmee's head shook in a silent denial, yet her eyes betrayed a deep fascination with the Romanians. Unlike the rest of us, she found their enigmatic aura alluring. Perhaps it was her youthful curiosity that made her so intrigued by them. Despite their reluctance to be touched, she had mustered the courage to engage them in conversation. Her inquisitive mind had probed them about their peculiar skin, and I couldn't help but wonder if they would take offence.

Her curiosity had not appeared to have caused any distress among them. Perhaps a hint of wistfulness lingered in their demeanour.

"We sat still for a very long time, child," Vladimir had answered, with Stefan nodding along but not continuing Vladimir's sentences as he often did.

"Contemplating our own divinity. It was a sign of our power that everything came to us. Prey, diplomats, those seeking our favour. We sat on our thrones and thought ourselves gods. We didn't notice for a long time that we were changing— almost petrifying. I suppose the Volturi did us one favour when they burned our castles. Stefan and I, at least, did not continue to petrify. Now the Volturi's eyes are filmed with dusty scum, but ours are bright. I imagine that will give us an advantage when we gouge theirs from their sockets."

Bella made a valiant effort to shield Renesmee from their venomous presence, and I couldn't fault her for it. But their words, oh their words, they reverberated through my mind like a never-ending echo.

Their insidious plan to use the child as a weapon to obliterate the Volturi was sickening. The mere thought of it made my skin crawl. And yet, they were willing to sacrifice everything, including their own coven, to achieve their twisted goal.