7. PLEA

AS WE STOOD THERE , OUR EYES FIXATED ON THE vampire couple before us, a sense of unease crept over us. What could they possibly want? Was it about Bella? Edward? The rest of the Cullens? Or perhaps it was about Ayla.  Our minds raced with questions, each one more concerning than the last.

The tension in the room was palpable as we waited for an answer. If they were there to see us, it wouldn't be good news. We held our breath, waiting for them to speak.

"Carlisle? Esme?" Dad's voice was filled with disbelief. "You didn't say you were coming to visit."

"We wish that's why we're here," Esme replied, her voice laced with concern.

He let them in and I couldn't help but feel a sense of foreboding. What could be so urgent that they had to show up unannounced? Mum's voice broke through my thoughts.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, her eyes scanning their faces for any sign of distress. "Why didn't you say you were coming?"

The silence that followed was deafening. We all held our breath, waiting for them to reveal the reason for their unexpected visit. Whatever it was, I knew it couldn't be good.
"Is it Bella?" I asked, my voice trembling with concern. "How is she faring as a newborn?"

"Remarkably well, actually," Carlisle replied with a reassuring smile.

"And what about Ayla?" I pressed.

"She's doing just fine," he assured me.

"Then why are you here?" Simon interjected, his tone sceptical. "If everything's fine, what's the problem?"

"Our family is in danger," Carlisle explained gravely. "We need your help."

"Why?" Rhona demanded. "What's happened?"

"If we tell you," he said, his voice low and serious. "Can  you promise to keep an open mind?"

"Of course," Dad said, stepping forward to join us. He stood before the couple, his arms folded across his chest. "What's going on?"

"The Volturi believe we've created an immortal child," Carlisle said, his eyes scanning our faces for a reaction.

I stared at him, my mind racing. What did he mean by an immortal child? And why did it put their family in danger? "What's that?"

"Human children who have been turned into vampires at a very early age," Dad began to explain. "Creating immortal children has long been outlawed by the Volturi due to their inability to remain concealed from the human world.

"There is no absolute age limit set as to what constitutes an immortal child; it was a subjective definition, based on the child's ability to behave themselves in a way consistent with vampire law."

"And what happened when someone created that?"'

"The Volturi would punish individual covens for the behaviour of their immortal children with a much greater frequency than other occurrences of lawlessness," Carlisle replied. "And with that, they were forced to destroy full covens to destroy one immortal child.

"Afterward, they decreed that immortal children were not capable of following the law, and therefore it was made illegal to create them. Creating one had since become the worst crime in the vampire world, under penalty of death for both the child and its creator, whether the child had broken the law or not." 

"How did you come to know of such a thing?" I inquired of Carlisle, my curiosity piqued.

"I chanced upon a group of children during my sojourn in Volterra and learned of this peculiar law," Carlisle replied, his voice calm and measured.