27. CONFRONTED

AS THE SUN ROSE ON THE HORIZON, WE strolled amidst our coven, eagerly anticipating their arrival. The air was thick with anticipation and excitement, as we prepared to welcome our judges, juries and, possibly, our executioners.

The field lay beneath a blanket of pure white, a canvas of snow that stretched out as far as the eye could see. We stood motionless, our eyes fixed on the horizon, waiting for the arrival of our accusers. We were here to bear witness, to defend those who had been accused of the impossible.

The air was thick with tension, a palpable sense of unease that hung heavy around us. We were here to prove their innocence, to show the Volturi that they had been wrong. But we knew that the odds were stacked against us.

As we stood there, our breaths forming clouds in the frigid air, a dark mist began to creep towards us. It moved with a grace and elegance that belied its sinister nature, gliding effortlessly through the snow.

We knew that the Volturi had already passed judgement on our friends, that they had condemned us to death before the trial had even begun. They cared nothing for justice, nothing for our safety. All they wanted was power and control.

But we were not afraid. We knew that if we had to die for our freedom, then it was a sacrifice worth making. And so we stood there, resolute and unyielding, ready to face whatever lay ahead.

And then, in the distance, we heard the faint sound of footsteps. "The redcoats are coming," Garrett muttered to himself. "The redcoats are coming."

We braced ourselves for what was to come, knowing that our fate was inextricably tied to that of our friends and family.

Garrett moved closer to Kate as he muttered his chant.

"They did come," Vladimir whispered to Stefan, his voice barely audible above the rustling of the leaves.

Stefan's eyes widened in disbelief. "The wives? The entire guard. All of them together. It's well we didn't try Volterra."

As the Volturi approached with a slow and calculated gait, a swarm of vampires emerged from the shadows behind them. Their faces were stoic, their expressions unreadable. At first, there was a palpable sense of shock and unease as they beheld the unexpected force before them. But that feeling quickly dissipated, replaced by a sense of confidence and superiority. They knew they held the upper hand, with their overwhelming numbers and the unstoppable Volturi at their backs.

Their features returned to their usual impassive state, revealing their true intentions. This was no mere gathering of vampires - it was an angry mob, fueled by a desire for justice and retribution. Their eyes glinted with a fierce determination, and their bodies tensed with anticipation. They were ready to unleash their fury upon those who dared to cross them.

And then, as if the universe had conspired against us, the Volturi advanced with a slow and majestic gait, their numbers already overwhelming. But fate had more in store for us, as more vampires began to enter the clearing behind them, their faces seemingly expressionless. At first, shock and anxiety rippled through the air as they beheld the unexpected force awaiting them. But that concern passed quickly, replaced by a sense of security in their overwhelming numbers and their position behind the unstoppable Volturi force. Their features returned to the expression they'd worn before we'd surprised them, their mindset clear as day. This was an angry mob, a frenzy of desire for justice.

It was then that I realised the true depth of the vampire world's feelings towards the immortal children. This motley, disorganised horde of possibly forty vampires was the Volturi's own kind of witness, ready to spread the word of our eradication once we were dead. Most of them looked like they hoped for more than just an opportunity to witness - they wanted to help destroy.