29. PROVEN

"PLEASE," RENESMEE IMPLORED HIM, HER EYES pleading for mercy.

In response, his lips curved into a soft smile, his demeanour transforming into one of kindness. "Of course I have no desire to harm your loved ones, precious Renesmee. Their safety is of utmost importance to me."

Aro's words were like a soothing balm, lulling me into a sense of security. But as I turned to face Maggie, her sharp intake of breath shattered the illusion.

I knew then that Aro's honeyed words were nothing but a facade, a mask to hide his true intentions.

Aro's mind was a labyrinth of thoughts, each one leading to another, like a never-ending maze. He pondered aloud, his voice laced with a hint of curiosity, "I wonder..." His words hung in the air, as if waiting for someone to catch them.

Jacob, the giant wolf, stood before him, his eyes blazing with fury. But Aro's gaze was fixed on him, not with disgust like the other Volturi, but with a sense of wonder. He was intrigued by the creature before him, and his eyes roamed over Jacob's form, taking in every detail.

Edward's voice cut through the silence like a knife, his tone harsh and unforgiving. "It doesn't work that way," he said, his words dripping with disdain.

But Aro was undeterred. He continued to appraise Jacob openly, his eyes moving slowly across the two lines of wolves behind them. Renesmee had shown him something, something that had piqued his interest.

"They don't belong to us, Aro," Edward reminded him. "They don't follow our commands that way. They're here because they want to be."

Jacob growled menacingly, warning Aro to back off. But the vampire was unfazed. "They seem quite attached to you, though," he said, his voice soft and caressing. "And your young mate and your... family. Loyal."

Edward's words were sharp and to the point. "They're committed to protecting human life, Aro. That makes them able to coexist with us but hardly with you. Unless you're rethinking your lifestyle."

Aro laughed merrily, as if the conversation was nothing more than a game. "Just an errant thought," he repeated. "You well know how that is. None of us can entirely control our subconscious desires."

"I do know how that is. And I also know the difference between that kind of thought and the kind with a purpose behind it. It could never work, Aro."

Jacob's vast head turned in Edward's direction, and a faint whine slipped from between his teeth.

"He's intrigued with the idea of... guard dogs," Edward murmured back.

The air was thick with tension as the pack of wild beasts stood poised, their eyes fixed on their prey. A single second of eerie stillness hung in the air, as if time itself had frozen in anticipation. And then, with a sudden ferocity that shook the very ground beneath their feet, the pack erupted into a chorus of snarls and growls that echoed through the vast clearing.

But amidst the chaos, a voice cut through the din like a knife. It was Sam, their leader, barking out a command that silenced the pack in an instant. The quiet that followed was heavy with the weight of unspoken threats, as the beasts glared at their target with a fierce intensity that made the very air crackle with electricity.

Aro chuckled, his laughter echoing through the clearing. "I suppose that answers that question," he said, his eyes glinting mischievously. "This lot has picked its side."

Edward's eyes narrowed, his body tense with anger. Bella clung to his arm, her heart racing with fear. What could Aro be thinking that would provoke such a reaction from her beloved?

Felix and Demetri crouched low, ready to pounce at a moment's notice. But Aro waved them off with a flick of his wrist, his attention focused solely on the Cullens.