Diary Part 2

Middle East has been a warzone since... the sixties. When the USSR and the USA put the world in tension with the cold war and missile crisis. The two superpowers began to threaten each other with blowing up the entire world with nukes.

However, soon they realized that it was all an idiocy. What kind of benefit could they get from sending everything to hell? None, absolutely none. It will all be in vain and after all it's over, there will be no victory for either side.

Instead, their sights shifted to the growing industry of the twenty century. The petroleum.

Where to find it? Easy, the desert.

You name it. Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan. Wars against terrorism. Only excuses to get a hold on their resources.

Or at least that's what the rumors at the camp are. Even myself cannot distinguish what our reason are... though I have orders. Reasons does not matter when my superiors give me and my team command.

We were assigned to defend a village on the outskirts. Some kilometers away from the base. Why use a unit like us for this? This is our first tour. We have to get field experience to eventually carry over more dangerous and crucial missions.

Using us as guard dogs felt like the right work... or so I thought.

The village was atop of a hill. It had only one way up and one way down. A single bottleneck thay could prove a challenge to break down. And also it made this position a strategic point. It could be used to launch operations and easy to defend since the back was covered by an impossible impossible climb cliff.

Still, we have a problem. The villagers are living there. Even when a war rages around  and everyday could mean death. I guess that they have accepted the cruel reality they live in.

"How does it look like?" Sabito asked while looking down from one of the houses atop. A single path with nothing but rocks for cover stood in my line of sight.

"Too easy." I sentenced "So much that it's scaring me."

"I agree. They could have sent anyone and the job still be done."

We mounted three defending points. The first one at the main 'street' in the two houses that made a choke, there was Inosuke and Genya with light machinguns. It will become a carnage if the enemies comes at them.

The second point were four roofs at the center square of the village. Muichiro, Zenitsu, Nezuko and Tanjiro were in charge of the place. If something went south, Genya and Inosuke were to fall back and join the defense.

And the last stand was at the higher point in there. A roof that has 'eagle view'. We can see everything from here. In the end, that would be our last line of defense and the headquarters. Sabito and myself decided to stay here, a snipers nest.

"What happened to the last unit?" Sabito asked.

"Wiped. Not entirely but enough to send us as reinforcements." And that was true. Another unit is posted here, six more people we can use as we like since their commanding officer was killed.

I don't plan to put them as cannon fodders. They will take turns turns Genya and Inosuke in the first post and the rest will be at the third defense line.

"Captain. We got movement." The radio announced.

A car approached from the base of the hill. Two people inside, driving at full throttle.

"Hostiles?" Inosuke asked.

"Don't know, but until we are a hundred percent sure that they aren't armed, they are hostiles." I didn't think it twice before jumping to action.