Chapter Seventeen

Everyone arrived at the owl house and were sitting in the living room. Azara had placed John to bed and was sitting on the couch with Hunter, who was setting Azara's arm in a sling. Luz and Amity were sitting on the floor. King was laying on the arm of the couch. Eda walked over and slapped a healing glyph on Azara's arm.

"There we go," Eda said, sitting down in the chair. No one said a word, as they sat silently trying to process what had happened at the Conformatorium.

"Look on the bright side, we didn't go back empty handed," Azara said, trying to cheer Eda up. "We helped rescue a few people."

"But, we still didn't get Raine," Eda replied.

"At least we know that they're alive." Luz said.

"If you call being stripped of your powers and imprisoned against your will, "alive", then you're crazy, " Eda said, frustrated. "I can't believe the emperor's coven would go this far! It-It makes me wanna!" She yelled, angrily. Feathers were starting to sprout out from Eda's arm.

"Uh, Eda," King said, nervously. "Maybe you should take it down a notch." Luz got up and grabbed a potion and handed it to Eda. She took it from her, drinking it.

"Eda, you need to calm down," Luz told her. "Getting angrier is making the owl beast come out."

Then Hooty slammed the front door open and came flying in. "I know something that will cheer everyone up. Mail!" The owl hovered over Azara and began hacking. Mountains of letters from the mail came dropping out and fell right on top of Azara. Some were covered in spit and others had owl pellets on them and hair balls.

"Gee, thanks," Azara said, disgusted. Eda sorted through the mail, separating out the ones that were junk and hexes. However, one slipped out from the pile. King noticed and hopped off from the couch and picked it up. He flipped the letter over and his eyes widen to see his name addressed on it.

"Hey, there's one for me," King said.

"Really? Who sent it to you?" Luz asked. King opened the letter and read it. His eyes widen in surprise.

"Dear, King Clawthorne,

I hope that this letter finds you well. I heard that you want answers to who you are and about our kind. Let's meet at the coven day parade. I'll be waiting for you there." King wasn't able to read anymore from the letter as the rest of the writing was smeared and smudged.

"Hey, I-I think this is a letter from my father!" King exclaimed, shocked.

"What?!" Eda and Luz sputtered, surprised as well.

"King, are you sure?" Luz asked, unsure.

"Yes, it has to be!" King said. "I have to see him! I have to go to the coven day parade!"

"Hold it," Eda stopped him. "The coven day parade is going to a lot of the emperor's guards crawling around."

"But, this could be the only chance to see my father!" King argued. "I have to see him!"

"What is the coven day parade?" Azara asked.

"It's the day where all of the coven leaders show up and flaunt about their skills, encouraging witches and newly graduated witches, to join their covens," Eda explained. "This is going to be dangerous. I mean, how do we know if this guy really is your father."

"But, if this guy, really is my father or knows something about him, I have to go!" King shouted. "I want to know what I am!"

"Is there an address on the letter? A way for you to contact this guy? Maybe, be able to tell him to meet somewhere else?" Azara asked King. King looked over the letter again and shook his head.