Chapter 20

Hunter and Azara rode on Lil' rascal, arriving back at the Owl House. They landed and walked inside to see Eda, King, Luz and John still up, gathered around in the living room.

"Hey, 'bout time you two losers got back," King said, noticing them coming in.

"Did anything exciting happen?" John asked.

"Did you both finally confess your undying love for each other?" Luz joked. Both Azara and Hunter blushed.

"What are you talking about?" Hunter stammered. "We just had a chat and walk through the woods."

"No, but we did find this!" Azara said, holding up the palisman wood, showing it to everyone. Their eyes widen in surprise, seeing it. John stared at it confused.

"So you brought piece of wood back?" Eda snickered. "No, kiddo, this isn't just a piece of wood, it's palisman wood," she explained to him. "You can use it to make your own palisman."

"I have one," Luz said. "But, I'm still working out the kinks on it. I haven't decided yet."

"I want to make a palisman!" Azara told her, excitedly.

"Now, slow down there. This isn't something that you can undo, if you change your mind on it," Eda said. "Don't you want to think about it a little longer before-"

"I already know what I want to make!" Azara insisted.

"Okay, okay, okay!" Eda laughed. "Let's get to carving." She took Azara into another room, while Hunter stayed behind in the living room with Luz, John and King.

Hours seemed to go by as the clock ticked passing by every minute. Luz lounged on the couch, while King laid on top of her stomach, sleeping like a cat. John slept on the floor, near Luz, leaning up against it. Hunter was sitting in the chair beside the couch, twiddling with his thumbs. Lil' rascal was nesting on Hunter's shoulder, sleeping.

"How much longer is it going to take do you think?" Luz asked Hunter.

"I don't know," He replied. Hunter turned his back towards the door to the other room.

In the other room, Azara was listening to Eda's instructions using her magic to carve the wood. Piece by piece, the wood began to take shape into a form: a beak, two wings and talons. It was transforming into a bird, a blue jay.

"Now for the finishing touches," Eda told her. "Put some of your magic into the hollowed base and that should do it!"

Azara picked up the palisman, holding it in her hands. She closed her eyes concentrating, pour some of her magic into it. The carved bird began to shape as blue feathers began to slowly out from it. The beak began to turn darker until black. The tail began to grow longer as blue feathers with some white stripes came out. Slowly, she opened them and gasped. Sitting in her hands, the blue jay's small eyes stared back right into hers, curious.

Azara felt her eyes starting to sting as she smiled with joy and endearment over the little bird.

"Well, you did it, kid," Eda smiled. "There's only one thing left, what are you going to call her?"

"Jewel." Azara answered. Jewel chirped in response, turning it's head to it's side, confused.

What's a jewel? Azara's eyes widen in surprise. "Eda, did you say something?" she asked. Eda shook her head.

"No, kid, I said nothing," she smirked. Azara frowned. If Eda didn't say anything then...her eyes went wide and she looked back down at the small blue jay in her hands. Jewel chirped again, looking up at her.

Who are you? What is a Jewel? Azara gasped softly in surprise and smiled warmly.

"I'm Azara," she told the Blue Jay. "You are a jewel, Jewel. You're my precious baby." Jewel chirped, happily, before it spread out their wings and took flight for the first time, landing on Azara's shoulder. "Do you want to meet the others? They are just in the other room, waiting."