Chapter Twenty-Eight

Several years have passed, since the the incident with the witch. The two brothers have grown up as well, now teenagers. The town of Gravesfield has expanded drastically with more people living in it now. There was a statue erected of the brothers resting in the village square. Caleb and Philip had taken over their father's role as leaders of the town after he had passed. But, mainly, Caleb took over more of the responsibility, being the first born. But, just as the years had passed there were several accusations of people being witches as well and condemned for it.

Caleb and Philip were walking through the streets greeting several villagers as they passed them. Caleb stopped when he noticed a woman yelling frantically as she was carried off by two witch hunters.

"I'm telling you! I'm not a witch!" she cried out.

"We'll let the judge decide that." one of the hunters said. Caleb watched as they dragged her away with a hesitant look on his face. Philip smiled as he watched as well.

"Looks like we've caught another one." he remarked.

"I'm not too sure about that, Philip." Caleb replied. "Don't you think that this is getting out of hand? This is the fiftieth case this week. I'm mean, what evidence do we have against them?"

"Like father said, this is for the good of humanity, to wipe out the wicked." Philip said as he placed his hand on his brother's shoulder. "Besides, I think that you're just angry that we let that other one go, those many years ago." Caleb's eyes widened and thought about the girl that Philip and him had encountered. As much he hated to admit it, Caleb couldn't help but think that she was beautiful. Those alluring green eyes staring back into his, her boldness. Caleb shook his head, shaking the thought from his mind.

"It doesn't matter. She's long gone and we'll never see her again." He told Philip.

"If you say so." Philip shrugged his hands. As the two continued to walk a little further, something caught Caleb's eyes up ahead of them. A dark red cloak. His eyes widened in shock and he stopped in his tracks. Philip noticed that his brother had stopped.

"What's wrong?" He asked, worried. He looked up ahead to where Caleb was looking at and his eyes widened as well.

"It's her!" he whispered.

"Come on! We're not going to lose her again!" Caleb shouted as he ran off, his brother behind him, following after the witch that they had met those many years ago. The two quietly watched her as they trailed the woman from afar as she walked, heading further and further away from the town until they were at their house. She passed it, walking into the dense woods behind it. Caleb and Philip grabbed their pitchforks that was resting beside the house and continued to follow her.

"Where is she going?" Philip whispered.

"I don't know, but we're going to find out." Caleb told him.

The two stopped as they noticed that the witch had stopped as well. They quickly hid behind the trees, watching her to see what she was doing. The brothers saw her pull out a round flask filled with a strange blue liquid and smashed it against the tree. Caleb and Philip gasped as they saw the liquid formed a strange portal of some sort. The two saw a bright flash, like they had seen those years ago as they watched the witch hop right into it. Caleb and Philip stepped out of their hiding spots and quickly rushed over to the portal. Caleb stopped and inspected it, wondering how such a thing could exist. Philip on the other hand, was hesitant and scared.

"Caleb?"

"Come on, we're going after her." Caleb told him. Philip's eyes widened, looking at him in disbelief and shock.