Chapter Twenty-Nine

Azura took the two human brothers back to her home at the Clawthorne Estate. As she opened the gates, the brothers stared in awe and the grand house. It had tinted stained glass windows in the shape of eyes. There were some overgrown vines covering the banisters and railings on the porch. An elder man with graying hair was sitting in a rocking chair, noticed them as they walked up. The yellow cardinal flew over to him, landing on his shoulder.

"Azura, you disobeyed me again." He frowned.

"Of course, I did. But, look!" She grabbed Caleb's hand, pulling him over to her father and shoved him right in front of him. Caleb froze as he saw the old witch narrowed his eyes, looking down at him.

"These two humans followed me here! Look at their ears! They're so much different from us!" She smiled as she grabbed Caleb's face, holding his ears

"Azura, behave yourself." He scolded her and looked at Caleb and Philip. "Why did you come here?"

Both of the human brothers froze, neither saying a word. Azura smiled, placing her hands on Caleb's shoulders, who tensed up.

"Dad, they need a place to stay!"

"I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to them. Now, I'm going to ask you boys again. Why are you here?" He repeated asking again.

Caleb gulped and looked at Philip who still hadn't moved at muscle then he looked back at the older witch, who was waiting for them to answer him.

"We followed her here." Caleb told him.

"I pray tell, may I ask why? What did you intend to do?" Caleb flinched at the man's harsh tone but remained calm.

"We saw her do some magic to make a strange door, which lead us to being here. We were curious." He half lied. To be honest, he was actually interested on how she did it. The man stared back at Philip and him.

"You may stay for as long as you need. I will provide anything that you need to help get you back." Azura's father told them. Caleb and Philip sighed in relief, seeing that they were safe for now. Azura smiled and latched her arm around Caleb's, while leaving Philip behind as she walked him into the house.

"I can't wait to show you to my other friends!" she exclaimed excitedly. "They're not going to believe it when I rub it in their faces about you guys."

Philip walked in, following behind them, silently, while keeping his eyes on Azura. The older witch noticed and he frowned in suspicion.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked Philip. Philip jumped, startled by his voice. He turned around, looking at him, smirking.

"No! Not at all! I was just admiring how well off you witches are!" He replied. "How did you come to have so much?"

"My family's been in the carving business for generations!" Azura replied.

"Carving?" Caleb asked, interested. She nodded.

"If a witch needs a palisman made, they come to us! We make the best and high quality magic to their standards!" she told him in a sing songy voice.

"Wow." Caleb said, amazed. "Is that why your magic's really strong then?"

Azura froze. She grasped her necklace, hidden in her shirt. She looked over at her father, who shook his head. "Uh, yeah, we come from a bloodline of really powerful witches!" she stammered and smiled. Her father sighed. She shot him a look, shushing him. She took Caleb by his hand and Philip's, who pulled away from her. Azura stared at him confused for a moment, but shrugged it off.