five //

[m/n] closed his books as the bell dinged across the school, indicating the end of the tutoring session. The two younger students, Park Jisung and Ham Wonjin, closed their books as well at the indication. "You guys did well today. Don't forget to go over what you got wrong, especially you, Jisung. Question three was pretty easy, but you still got it wrong."

"I tried," Jisung said, pouting slightly. He smiled when [m/n] ruffled his hair gently. "Thanks for the help, hyung."

"You make it look so easy," Wonjin commented, putting his books into his bag. "I wish I was as smart as you, you're amazing."

"Diligence is key," [m/n] smiled, standing up. "Sunwoo, let's go. I'll help you a bit more in self-study." Wonjin and Jisung bowed before walking off and [m/n] turned to Sunwoo. "You did well today. I'm actually surprised."

"Did I?" Sunwoo asked, his eyes brightening significantly as [m/n] laugehd slightly. "I struggled with the world history, though… dates and time periods are difficult to remember accurately."

"You just need to remember the basic date and you'll remember from there, trust me," [m/n] suggested, lifting his backpack onto his shoulder. However, Sunwoo quickly stopped him and took his bag, placing it on his shoulder. "You just want snacks, don't you?"

"I liked the peach drink," Sunwoo replied with a sheepish grin. [m/n] scoffed playfully and they walked along to their class where they'd go for self-study. They were allowed to do what they wanted, as long as they were quiet. Teachers preferred that they review their work for the day and basically just study, but a lot of students like Sunwoo used the time to play Kart Rider.

"If you get somewhere with your math, maybe I'll buy it for you again," [m/n] said with a sigh. Sunwoo nodded and [m/n] smiled, looking down again.

"[m/n]…!"

[m/n] heard running and turned around, smiling when he saw Hyunjin. "Oh — Hwang Hyunjin."

"I wanted to talk to you about this afternoon's meeting," Hyunjin said, moving to stand between Sunwoo and [m/n]. Sunwoo frowned, but moved to make more space for him. "Yedam came up with the flu, so someone has to take on his duties. They suggested a temporary, but Yedam is a freshman and no one else is used to positions higher than a student. We'll have to divide the freshman year duties between yourselves, and maybe I can take on some duties."

"Cleaning duty rosters are due tomorrow for next week, so someone has to do that," [m/n] said. "Heeseung can do that, while I divide the history assignments."

"Yedam also had to do career counselling session organisation, such as allocating time for the scheduled students. Only twenty students are seen per week, so scheduling isn't difficult," Hyunjin continued. "Can I trust the scheduling to you, [m/n]? I trust you enough."

[m/n] nodded, albeit a bit hesitantly. "I'll see what I can do."

Hyunjin smiled gently, and [m/n] looked down feeling his ears burning slightly. "Thanks so much, Choi [m/n]. It's only until Yedam returns. I'm sorry for all this extra work on you."

"Ah, it's no problem — I signed up for it by joining the student council," [m/n] joked, waving his hand.

"Don't forget that LGBT+ talk for Monday — Principal Jang is expecting a good one this time around, since pride month is around the corner."

[m/n] nodded again, feeling his hands stiffen by his side. This would be his third time doing the LGBT+ talk with the school. It was an all-boys school, and the lack of education regarding sexuality was prominent. He had yet to meet someone openly homophobic, but it was difficult when kids actively got in trouble for hate speech at their school.

It was one thing he was proud about as he came out to the rest of the student body. Despite his sexuality, he was still greatly praised as a good student and an inspiration to the younger students. [m/n] didn't want his sexuality to be his only trait, so he pushed himself forward as a good student and no one ever felt uncomfortable around him.

"You're the best, [m/n]," Hyunjin grinned, putting a hand on [m/n]'s shoulder. "I'll be off to class now. See you after school."

"B-bye, Hyunjin," [m/n] smiled, waving his hand as Hyunjin entered his classroom. Sunwoo eventually joined his side again, his eye landing on [m/n]'s red ears.

"Your ears are red again."

"S-shut up," [m/n] muttered, looking away quickly.

Sunwoo smiled, looking at the ground. "It's cute."

[m/n] looked at Sunwoo, whom quickly avoided eye contact. [m/n] followed suit, wondering if he had heard the same-aged boy correctly. Sunwoo looked around, pretending to whistle as he casually avoided looking at the shorter boy. [m/n] ignored him, eventually turning into his classroom. Sunwoo followed, since they were in the same class.

"Hey, [m/n]-ah," Sunwoo said eventually as he put [m/n]'s bag onto his desk, "do you… still hate me? Or find me annoying? It's been really eating me, since I'm not sure what you, uh… feel… about me…?"

"Don't phrase it like that," [m/n] said quickly, lifting a hand with a sigh. "I don't hate anyone, Kim Sunwoo. I don't think I habour any hate inside me, really. I'm just easily irritated, especially by people who don't meet my basic standards of s decent human. You're getting there, though. I'm… learning as well."

"Learning that I just want to help out sometimes?" Sunwoo asked, smiling when [m/n] nodded. "See? It's not that difficult. I don't need to be part of the student council — I just want to lend a helping hand."

"And that's okay, I guess," [m/n] muttered. "You could at least try to be a class prefect. It would make your position more authentic."

"Nah," Sunwoo shrugged. "I fear responsibility. But as long as I get to see you once in a while, I guess I'll be a little happier."

"Okay, seniors, silence~!"

Sunwoo walked to his desk, his signature smile lingering on [m/n]'s gaze. The shorter boy eventually sat down at his desk, distracting himself with his books quickly. He felt his heart pounding in his chest, and it was not what he wanted.

At all.