nine //

The weekend soon arrived and [m/n] knew he'd end up studying, like every other day. [m/n] never really made plans for the weekend, and didn't really have free time because he was constantly busy with school stuff. He either hung out with his friends or completed homework hr never had time to fo becsude of other external reasons.

Beomgyu couldn't stand seeing his brother indoors on a Saturday, so he made plans. "Hyung! Hyung-ah, check your phone."

[m/n] put his pen down, frowning as he picked up the aforementioned device. "My phone…?"

HWANG HJ
> hey [m/n] ^_^
> you wanna hang out today?
> beomgyu told me you have nothing to do lol do I thought we could hang out :D

"You what?!"

"Listen, loner, I set you up on a date!" Beomgyu exclaimed, pointing his finger quickly. "You can't keep sitting in the dark like this. It's time to figure things out, Choi [m/n]. Besides, you can't keep being pathetic at home like this."

"I'm not pathetic, you loser," [m/n] said, standing up from his seat. "I can't go anywhere — I'm not ready!"

"Don't leave him in read, idiot," Beomgyu said, laughing when [m/n] threatened to throw him with a pillow. "I'm serious. You need to get out before you become depressed."

"I already have depression, I've just come terms with it and it's less of a problem as it is an emotional burden."

"Wow. Same. Anyways, get done and reply to him!"

And that's how [m/n] found himself waiting outside of Myeongdong station for the taller boy that he would spend the rest of his day with. [m/n] didn't know how the day would go, since he and Hyunjin have never spent time together outside of school. It felt weird making plans to be with someone — it felt even weirder to call it a date.

"[m/n] — there you are."

[m/n] turned around, smiling as he waved at the blonde boy approaching him. "Hyunjin-ah, you've arrived."

"Sorry, I had to call the hair stylist to make sure I'm still getting my haircut today," Hyunjin saif, stopping just before the shorter boy. "I wanted to get a haircut before the senior MT trip to Hoengseong."

"A haircut? But your hair is your trademark," [m/n] said, widening his eyes. "The Hwang Hyunjin is getting a haircut? It'll look like freshman year all over again."

"I'll keep some length, since I fear short hair," Hyunjin chuckled as they began walking. "I'll be getting the haircut at four, so we have two hours to ourselves. Will you come with me?"

"I guess, since I'm with you right now," [m/n] shrugged with a smile. "I was organising tutor material, but I have the entire weekend to do that."

"Exactly, it's important to take some time for yourself," Hyunjin nodded, stepping sideways to be closer to [m/n]. It was so unnoticable, but [m/n] noticed, and thought Hyunjin was being extremely obvious. "How's the speech coming along? I imagine you're nervous."

"Naturally," [m/n] nodded, passing out a gentle sigh. "But I've done this twice before, so I'm not that nervous. I just feel like… sometimes, someone else of the LGBT+ community could do the speech. I know it's because I'm part of the student council, but there are other kids that are more open about it than me. Barely anyone knows I'm gay, and it feels like I'm coming out every time I give this speech."

Hyunjin nodded in understanding, it seemed, because he held quite a empathetic expression. "Maybe so. But at the end of the day, you're a role model to the freshman kid who is afraid to come out. You're a good person, [m/n]. You're reliable, too."

[m/n] smiled softly. "Thank you, Hyunjin-ah."

Hyunjin rolled his shoulders before sighing loudly, smiling as he looked at [m/n]. "So… what should we do first? We didn't really plan anything, which is pretty annoying."

"Hm…" [m/n] hummed, putting a finger to his chin as he thought. "Maybe… let's grab lunch first. I haven't eaten lunch yet, and I want pasta."

Hyunjin nodded and they began walking in search of a good restaurant to eat. [m/n] kept looking out, while Hyunjin mostly had his eyes on [m/n] himself. He felt his gaze a few times and noticed Hyunjin avoid eye contact every time [m/n] looked over at him.

"There's one, let's go," Hyunjin said pointing across the street. "Ah, it looks like a Korean place though. Not sure if you'll get pasta."

"Noodles are fine, too." [m/n] and Hyunjin walked ahead and stopped at the crossing, waiting for the little guy to turn green so that they could walk. "What were you doing before this, by the way?"

"Me?" Hyunjin asked, and [m/n] wondered who the else he could have possibly asked before he hesitantly nodded. "Well… I was helping my mother with some baking before she said she'd be fine, and I got a message from Beomgyu saying that you were bored and you wanted to… well, he said go on a date."

[m/n] felt his ears burning again and he looked away. "W-well… I don't know if you, uh… w-want to, uhm… call it a date. I d-don't think it's a date, personally—"

"No. It's a date."

Hyunjin looked at [m/n] with the gentlest smile the shorter had ever seen and his heart somehow felt at ease just seeing him smile. [m/n] felt his breath hitch when Hyunjin held his hand out, expecting [m/n] to take it as well. The panic set in, and he had no idea what to do. Hyunjin laughed, taking his hand and clasping it together with his own, tugging so that [m/n] would start walking across the street with him.

[m/n] could barely speak. Hwang Hyunjin was holding his hand. Holding. His hand. Was it normal for someone's heart to beat at the same speed a fighter jet would go? Was his panic normal in situations he was currently in? Was Hyunjin holding his hand normal?

"Ah, [m/n], relax," Hyunjin chuckled, reaching up to ruffle [m/n]'s hair. The other simply nodded, still not knowing what to say. "Should I let go? You seem uncom—"

"No," [m/n] said quickly, finally looking at him. His cheeks were burning. "D-don't."

Hyunjin nodded, gripping [m/n]'s hand tighter. "Then I won't let go."

[m/n] was doing to die at that rate.