The Park

The bell of the off licence rung as Iris exited the shop

The bell of the off licence rung as Iris exited the shop. Brown paper bag in hand, she knew it looked rather suspicious, she headed in the direction of somewhere familiar. A frequent spot she could usually be found in on the few nights she had off. 

If there was one thing Iris loved since moving to the Leaky Cauldron was the park that was located about 15 minutes away. It was slightly run down and hardly ever used by the local kids, but still it was good enough for her personal use. There was a nice couple of benches located in the park of which were nearly always unoccupied. And therefore, in an evening Iris often found herself walking to the park for a little moment of peace. 

Taking a bottle of alcohol with her wasn't exactly a new thing, she knew that it would be frowned upon drinking so blatantly in public. But that was the reason for the brown paper bag. And there was a muggle pub just around the corner if she got really drunk, she was sure the locals would just think she had wondered from the pub out and into the park for some fresh air. In fact she only really took a bottle of alcohol when she had what she personally liked to call a 'purple day'. A purple day was a day when she couldn't stop thinking about her sister, when Lavender had been so heavy on her mind that it controlled her entire being. Iris had named it a purple day considering her sister's own hatred for her name. And she was sure that is she was going to name anything after Lavender, she would find some way to make her pay. Even a day like today when all Iris was doing was remembering her sister, if she had named it a Lavender day, she was sure she'd wake up tomorrow covered in acne or something. 

But someone being sat on the wooden bench she favoured. That was something new. The most out of character thing about the entire evening was the fact that there was someone sat in her bench. Iris fully intended to walk straight on past them, to the bench just a little further up. After all she could see the smoke from their cigarette long before she could see them. Yet despite this she still slowed a little, something told her to walk past this person slowly. It would seem her subconscious really wanted second hand smoke damage. But she did as though the urge prompted her to, and walked slowly past the person smoking at her preferred bench. It wasn't as if she wasn't used to people smoking, loads of people did it at school it was one of the few things everyone did no matter blood status. 

"Iris?" A voice she was suddenly getting very familiar with called out. And Iris stopped in her tracks definitely for she turned to look at her tall, gorgeous, ginger haired arranged husband. 

"Hello George." Her voice was strong and certain as she stared him down. Challenging him for ignoring her for a few days. It would seem as though the fates were currently working some magic for their relationship. 

"I didn't know you came to this park." He tried to seem nonchalant as if he had never ignored her, as if they had only spoke to one another the day beforehand. But Iris didn't want to forget what had happened between them a few days earlier. She was no longer furious with him, but she could hold a grudge.