The Sisters

Iris once again awoke in bed alone that morning

Iris once again awoke in bed alone that morning. A feat though not uncommon, still felt strange even after the few months the pair had been living together. She had come such accustomed to sleeping beside someone and awakening to them still being there that being alone when she woke was not the most pleasant feeling. Not considering it was more often than not that she was the first one awake. George had a tendency to sleep in, he often ignored the alarms of which he set himself, the multiple alarms he set himself. Yet today she had heard none go off and therefore, his absence beside her was strange. And as she stretched and rolled over to look for the clock to see the time, and explain to herself why he was awake when it did not look overly bright outside, Iris was met with her first confusion of the morning. For the bedside clock which was always on George's side was missing. She turned her head to see whether she had somehow travelled across the bed in the short time she had been alone only to see no clock on the other side. It had been there when she had headed to sleep the night prior that much was obvious but it was now missing. 

Wondering just what her little brainiac was up to that morning, Iris attempted to make her way out of the room in search of the man who was being rather odd that morning. And as she started to move the covers off her she heard a bumping noise as a rather lanky ginger haired man bumped his way into the doorframe in an attempt to rush into the room. She wondered why he seemed so hot on his feet that morning, no real reason coming to mind. But he seemed panicked to see her awake. Though his panic soon turned into confusion as he scanned her over. 

"Rizzo."

"George you know I hate that nickname." 

"Are you okay?" His words seemed overly concerned and Iris felt confusion as she paused in her actions and sat there looking at him. She wondered what was causing him to worry so much. That was until her early morning wake up haze started to wear off. And the date suddenly hit her. Iris slumped in her seated position resting her head back on the headboard of the bed as she sighed and looked up. And just like that she was not okay. 

"I nearly forgot." She muttered as George approached her to sit down on the bed beside her. His hands coming to raise towards her head as he gently weaved them through separating the curls as he did so. 

"You were still waking up it's alright beautiful." His gentle words soothed her as Iris settled her eyes to rather focus on him from the spot she had originally been looking at on the ceiling. 

"I don't like it." Iris spoke as she felt him once again being the strong one for them both. A role reversal for the day, not that she minded. 

"I know. I'm sorry. Happy Birthday Iris." George did not move from where he sat nor did he stop gently running his fingers through her hair, too scared to mess up her curls and taking his time. Iris remained as she was for maybe half an hour neither speaking as she had to accept what the day was. Her third official birthday alone. 

But after the half an hour Iris realised she had things to do that day. She could not spend her day in bed no matter what she desired deep down. Because her brain knew there were other things she needed to do that day. A present to drop off, being the number one thing she had to do. Nothing would be able to continue until she did this. And therefore, after taking a little while to convince George she was indeed okay and ready to get up she did venture to get ready.  And as she pulled on the t-shirt and dungarees combination knowing today was all about being comfortable for the second time in the recent days she went to place on the purple plastic butterflies into her own hair.