The Letter

It had been a few weeks since Iris had written to the ministry to acquire the actual need for a formal grand wedding

It had been a few weeks since Iris had written to the ministry to acquire the actual need for a formal grand wedding. Enough weeks had passed that she had almost forgotten she had even written. She had started to plan a larger wedding in those weeks unsure as to whether she would get the response that both her and George had been wanting and therefore choosing to play it safe. 

And therefore, when the post arrived that morning she did not expect one from the ministry. After the first two weeks of waiting she had given up hope of ever getting a response. But as she collected the post from where it was generally delivered down with the other post for the shop, she felt a much heavier letter arrive than the normally delivery request or stock ingredient update she had gotten used to finding in the post. And when the clear wax seal of the ministry greeted her it took a moment for Iris to connect the dots as to why she had been sent this letter. 

"George I think they've responded." She announced as she entered the office he had in the back of the shop giving the letter of importance a little shake. 

"About bloody time we're cutting it very close here." George grumbled as he pushed himself back from the chair he had been sat in to walk over to where Iris stood. Iris danced her way around the entrance of the office where half completed and failed projects had been left lying around before coming to a final standstill almost in the centre of the room. 

"Go on then woman read it out, I'm dying of anticipation here." George beckoned, the dramatic flail accompanying his words nothing that Iris had not been expecting. 

"Dear Iris Brown and George Weasley. Thank you for writing into us regarding the exact details of the union law. It is nowhere stated the exact extent of which the grander the wedding may be only that we require a copy of the certificate officiating the union." Iris gave up reading at that point as she was sure the rest of the letter was not as important. For they had their answer. They could do a short quicker to plan ceremony and plan a bigger wedding when time was not so against them.

"Oh thank merlin that makes it so much easier. I hate planning big things like this out." George gave Iris a quick on armed hug before making his way back to where he had been sitting at the desk immediately pulling forward the paperwork he had abandoned the moment Iris had walked through the door. 

"Yeah it does. Do you need anything?" Iris questioned as she watched George attempt to refocus back on his work. He seemed to be struggling, and Iris took into account it could have been due to her presence in the room, but she still held on for just a moment to see whether he needed anything from her before she left him alone to work. She did not need to be down the pub until 6pm that evening to work, and had a rather decent amount of time to help about the shop whilst she was waiting. 

"Some company might be nice." And with his words Iris sat down in the chair opposite him, pulling some of the paperwork that was left on the desk over towards herself. She was slowly starting to learn some of the important documents of the shop. Sure she might never be able to help much in the product development side, but she wanted to be able to reduce the amount of stress and tasks he had to perform in the other aspects. It would allow George to focus more on the part of his job he enjoyed making people laugh through the weird and wonderful things he created. 

A few hours passed, much quicker than Iris realised they would, and the pair spoke occasionally to one another as they both worked on the relevant paperwork for the business. There was not a lot to really say as they worked, but that did not stop them passing small messages to one another. Usually those consisted of Iris checking something from the paperwork she was completing before finishing. Iris had taken the pile of things that George left until last because they were boring and he had worked out that if he left them for long enough Iris would appear and end up offering to do them for him. And therefore, he once again got his wishes. He got to avoid the boring documents that weren't essential, he checked his own taxes he was no criminal, and he often didn't have to do it alone. 

"Shit it's getting late I need to be off shortly." Iris had noticed the clock on the wall which read 5:45pm. The pair had been sat there for the majority of the day neither really taking a break. 

"We haven't eaten. Rizzo I'm sorry." George started to apologise for having kept the woman so long down in the office. 

"It's fine I'll grab something whilst I'm there, you need to stop for the evening and relax now." Iris gave him a look as to not disobey what she had told him to do, despite knowing he would do the opposite. He would most likely work late into the night and only stop a little while before Iris was due to come home to avoid her wrath. She knew he did this, but there was no trying to change him anytime soon that much was evident. She knew George well enough to know he would not stop anytime soon. 

"Also tell your parents the plan. My parents know but there's no chance I'm telling your mother." Iris bidding words were as she rushed upstairs to change clothes before heading towards the pub for her evening shift.