The First Step

After talking to Padma, Iris did feel a little better

After talking to Padma, Iris did feel a little better. Not a tonne better but still enough that she could start to move on from what happened. She was able to stop fixating on the dinner and able to continue on. Iris was still mad at George for the audacity of what he had to say about her and she recognised the need for them to talk, to properly talk. She just had no clue how to go about it. George still it would appear was avoiding her, whether it be out of guilt or because he partially believed his own words. Iris had yet still to see him and she was not exactly rushing to see him again. But then again she did value her life as a free woman, and this situation needed addressing so that neither of them ended up locked away for simply not being able to get along. 

And after 7 days since their last encounter, Iris had enough of waiting for George to seek her out. It was becoming obvious he was not going to. It was never in her nature to be timid, nor was it to seek out confrontation. But she wanted this to work. Maybe it was because she was starting to develop feelings, maybe it was because she just could not leave things the way they were. Maybe she just wanted an apology, even if it was not a genuine one. 

That was how she found herself stood in the front of Weasley Wizard Wheeze five minutes before the store closed, watching as the final customers approached the till. Waiting for them to leave so she could talk to the owner who was currently playing checkouts. The second she had entered the store, the little bell ringing and George had looked up Iris could feel the tension build. He had tried to play it off with the general welcome message he must have given every customer who entered his shop. But Iris could see the disbelief in his face. George had not expected her to seek him out. He had not expected her to come anytime soon if possibly ever. That much was evident. 

But Iris was not giving up, she had made her mind up. If she turned around now and left she would be betraying all the work she had put in to getting to this exact moment. The ever amounting anxiety, the sweaty hands and the overall feeling of the possible dread she was going to experience at the end of this conversation would all not be worth it if she just turned on her heel and exited the brightly coloured front door of the joke shop. 

It would appear that George was not the only one who was aware of why she was really here. For Iris had been spotted by Lee Jordan, George's less eccentric best friend, and someone Iris had begun to get to know very well from her own work in the pub. It would appear that George had told his best mate what had gone on between them both and he too had expected at one point for Iris to appear wanting to talk things out. It wouldn't be an unreasonable conclusion to have drawn if George told his best friend just the bare minimum of what had occurred, less than what Iris had told her own would have been enough to clue the man into knowing that there were some clear things that needed to be talked through reasonably between the pair. Lee had sent her a nod in greeting and awareness when Iris remained standing in the store, the man having snuck past her to lock the front door after the final customer had left, flicking the sign over to closed before he went out back to give the pair some space.